Sign in to follow this  
mad_pete

Dummies guide to defender hinge repair needed

I have a wobbly door hinge, a repair bolt of the right length, a pillar drill and a tap and dieset and no idea what I’m doing. 

so i am looking for the dummies guide to hinge repair seen the process from a couple of places but I’m not quite following it so looking to make a fool proof guide here.  

B0B8243D-9EC1-4BCE-BBAF-47939F01216B.jpeg.e94209ad6ad32998253d1aa26a00f4f3.jpeg3A4FAFB9-E720-4EFB-B4ED-A6E7D4161BE7.jpeg.a82305a0ef779ce9bed23897b679689e.jpeg

so step 1 take hinge off.

whats step 2 and what size hammer do I need ?

Ascertain wear. Buy Britpart hinge. Realise hinge wasn't that worn after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you mean to re hinge the hinge?

I think you've to drill the pin out.

17 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Ascertain wear. Buy Britpart hinge. Realise hinge wasn't that worn after all.

I did that with my wipers........

Are you going to tap it for the screw? 

That’s the plan. But I might also plan for new hinges. Where is good to get some from ?  Not the £300 stainless sets 🙂

Drill the top and tap the bottom. Trying to find the old thread that talks about it. 

I tried knocking the pins out of a few hinges with a view to doing the modification but could not get them to budge, even with a MAPP torch.

In the end I gave up and just bought new hinges. Proper genuine parts seemed to be the only standard ones that don’t have loads of slop from new. 

This is the thread 

I guess step on is see if the pins will move. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 11:55 AM, mad_pete said:

Okay these look at a price point I can live with as a backup 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113108794015

That particular kit, many write that it's a Heavy Duty kit. But I can't see what is heavy duty about it?? I mean it looks no different than any other defender door hinge, is it the stainless steel bolts that stop them from wearing out what seems like ever 3-4 years?? 

I think it’s based on the later defender hinges rather than the earlier type and they are deemed ‘heavy duty’

Okay they turned up and they are britpart hinges. Took the drivers door off and the amount of play in the old hinges is what I would describe as “a lot”.

I’ll put the new ones on which means working out how to paint them or getting someone who knows how to paint them to paint them.

Many years ago I had a S2a with a side-hung rear tailgate with a S3 hinge on it - only problem was that the pin would drop out.  Trouble is the thing measure 7mm and at that time I hadn't got a lathe and couldn't knurl things.

It probably ended up with a 1.4 in bolt and nut

I'm sure the pin drives in.