Dash Vents

I think that looks right as you will flip it over to attach it onto the under side of the vent flap. This will give the push point at the lower edge of the flap and increase leverage of ease of opening and closing them.

Offer the flap up and cycle the flap open and closed, if you can do that?! Not sure how much dash you have apart?

Steve

Bit of a Faff on to fit them then forgot all about the Bloody seals 😬 so they will have to come off again at some point.

Might get the ones that stick  on to the Vents , they look easier to fit then the rubber ones.

IMG_20200516_172521.jpg

Yes they are stuck on, IIRC LR used bostik or similar when I had some repair done on bulkhead top corners, I think I used evostik to glue them back in 0lace, Yes the vent links have to be disconnected to fit both types of the  seals. 

Genuine rubber seals work very well.  They need to be bonded with impact adhesive or PU adhesive.  The Britpart copies are too thick and too hard, and will not let the flaps close fully, leading to drafts and water leaks.

The foam seals have varied enthusiasm reports.  They seem to be easier to fit, and the flaps close more easily.  I don’t know how resilient they are, but it seems a lot less than the rubber type, and I think they are more prone to leaks than the genuine rubber type.  They don’t cause as much rusting of the bulkhead pressed groove, though, which the rubber type do through holding water around their outer perimeter.  Whichever you use, make sure to get a good paint application to the area, especially the cut edges, and get some wax behind the hinges once the ears are fitted.

8 minutes ago, kevin50 said:

is there a part number for Foam Seals cant find it. ?

Was ALR2220 now JAE000030 https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?query=ALR2220&xBrand=&part_type=&xSupplierID=&product-sort=&xPerPage=10

These are the earlier rubber type https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?query=MUC4299&xBrand=&part_type=&xSupplierID=&product-sort=&xPerPage=10

7 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Some say these Later Foam ones are for defenders 92 Onwards and yet some say they fit All Series and Defenders . Mine is 1987 so not sure. 

The vent flaps are dimensionally identical from 1958 to 2007.  There was little change in the lever mechanism from 1972-2007, just the plastic knob.  So either type of seal fits all SIIs to the end of the TD5 Defenders.

Happy to screw, nut, bolt, etc.. Essentially anything that can either be undone or paused (read any excuse for a cuppa/biscuit)

Glues, paints, mastic, sealant, etc... - things get more stressed.

Good luck with the project.

Simon...