series 2a marker, turn and brake lights

enen

Hi

I have an early S2A. I need all 8 marker, turn and brake lights.

I bought a set of  aftermarket lights and went to install them and found that they wont fit in the holes in the bodywork. I googled the original part numbers and they are no longer available. Can someone help me with some part numbers that will work for my car?

Thank you

I think i may have figured it out

The early marker lights are no longer available

no big deal. 

But holes in bodywork for earlier lights are too small for newer style lights. So its cutting time!

Sorry you didn’t get a helpful answer, glad you have a solution.  I had suspected you’d need to fit later lights, but wasn’t sure.

SIIA and SIII lights had galvanised steel innards, while the 90/110 and onwards have white plastic.  They may look a bit modern and out of place on your vehicle, but slipping the rubber boot off the white plastic, stuffing some tissue down the hole and giving them a quick coat of silver may dull them down to look a little more age appropriate.  It’s not an ideal solution, but it should look a bit better than nailing the new lamps on as they are.

On 5/18/2020 at 7:53 AM, Romahomepete said:

You can fit either Sparto (unavailable or mega expensive) or Lucas L488 bases with either flat lenses or domed ones.  The holes should be the right size for these.  I have them on my 58 S2

Land rover and trailer.jpg

Domed ones are the L594 - about £20 each but money well spent as waterproof and glass does not crack like the plastic. I've just replaced the stop/tail... will gradually replace all the plastic units.

Edited by jessejazza

On 5/18/2020 at 7:04 AM, Snagger said:

Sorry you didn’t get a helpful answer, glad you have a solution.  I had suspected you’d need to fit later lights, but wasn’t sure.

SIIA and SIII lights had galvanised steel innards, while the 90/110 and onwards have white plastic.  They may look a bit modern and out of place on your vehicle, but slipping the rubber boot off the white plastic, stuffing some tissue down the hole and giving them a quick coat of silver may dull them down to look a little more age appropriate.  It’s not an ideal solution, but it should look a bit better than nailing the new lamps on as they are.

I don't know if mine are original, but they are/were white plastic. 1981.

I've some pretty nasty plastic offerings, and looking to Lucas L594, this looks like a pricey job to swap-out all 16 units for glass beehives or similar. All in £200+ . Ouch.

To be rivet-counter correct, which is it? L488  or can we  run to the cheaper L594?

Edited by Landrover17H

4 hours ago, Gazzar said:

I don't know if mine are original, but they are/were white plastic. 1981.

No, they’d have had the pressed s steel backings at that point.  My 1982 109 had them.  The lenses look the same to me, though the colours of the plastic seemed a bit brighter on the later lamps.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, Landrover17H said:

I've some pretty nasty plastic offerings, and looking to Lucas L594, this looks like a pricey job to swap-out all 16 units for glass beehives or similar. All in £200+ . Ouch.

To be rivet-counter correct, which is it? L488  or can we  run to the cheaper L594?

L488 cf L594. They are same price (well +/- twopence). The unit is the same apart from the lens (obviously stop/tail has two contacts) for the sidelight one puts in the 5W bulb and indicator a 21W.

As for cost one can do it in stages - I've done the stop/tail but haven't got round to the rest as I am doing the same on my kitcar. The LR lights I have found one needs to replace about each year and worst of all water gets in. Another way of thinking is one is not paying road tax so there's £200 ready in the kitty.

The folk I know who stock them are Europaspares or AES https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/363/category/71

[There is also another firm Auto Electrical Spares which sell some Lucas stuff as well but not the same range as AES].

AES also do a lot of other useful stuff like almost all electrical wiring needs including the full set of Lucas switches which other folk do not.

IMG_20200531_105954.jpg

IMG_20200531_162248.jpg