Thinking of getting rage4

mad_pete

Not that particular model but I've got a Rage 3S. There's a shop on eBay that sells shop soiled ones for a fraction of the price from Screwfix - I think I paid £50 for mine and was as new bar a missing clamp which I haven't noticed.

Does work quite well - abused mine and cut plenty of steel and aluminium with it. Have gone through a few blades though but I suppose in 5 or 6 years moderate use I've had less blades than that. The thing that blunted it a lot was cutting some 8mm 50x50 angle iron :blush:. A few months back I cut probably 3000 parts out of Aluminium stock with it and the blade was fine apart from a few teeth bunging up but I wasn't using any lubricant so not surprised.

Would I pay full price - probably but that shop is well worth a look.

Just dug through emails and here was the item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1039167882?iid=112021092882

I've got the big double mitre one. I've not used it for a while but I've got some stuff coming up where I want a decent end on the material. I've got the bigger diameter one and Whilst its worked great on lots of things, it really seems to struggle with box section, particularly the bigger stuff, with the blade going all over the place. It would seem that they've kept the blade narrow for keeping the cutting load down, but its made it wander. So I'm actually looking at splashing the cash on a decent band saw instead at the moment. 

I've got the sliding mitre saw and a circular saw, both work well although the swarf that comes off is vicious - sharp and hot! I think they came as a package on special offer but could be wrong - certainly sometimes they do decent offers like that.

I'd splash for a mitre version over straight chop if it were me, very useful to be able to do 45 degree / 22.5degree cuts in the ends of things. For general DIY and workshop stuff it's definitely a useful all-rounder as you can do wood or metal.

A sharp blade makes a difference, they'll cut with a blunt one but make an (even more) awful noise doing it, and doing thick steel definitely blunts them quickly - I did a 2.4m long cut in 4mm steel plate for my bench top and that single cut blunted the circular saw blade noticeably, but then it's probably on the naughty side of what it's capable of.

Also got a Clarke bandsaw picked up cheap and that is lovely for chopping box/bar/rod, can be used chop-style or upright. Does pop the blade off a bit often but that could be due to the setup, I bought it with damage and fixed it so who knows how "right" it is. It's great to be able to set it going and walk away, and there's minimal noise, no heat or dust, etc. and it just shuts off when it's done.

I think the rage 2 and rage 4 can chop at an angle but you have to change the vice round.

ah just read up on cut differences I see now.

also looked that they use on Project Binky - it’s the rage 3 - so I’m sold 

now I need a face shield with ear defenders ...

I bought an Evolution metal chop saw from Aldi many years ago. It has cut everything I have thrown at it. As it is only a mitre saw and not a compound mitre you move the material clamp and not the blade angle which is the most annoying thing about it. but it has earnt the £90 it cost me back then.

With difficulty...

I've found the only satisfactory way is almost to build a jig / clamp or a large piece of box section you can clamp off to one side and exert pressure. That's not particularly great either because as it goes through the final cut it tends to catch the edge and flick it / knock it out of alignment.

I've drilled and tapped a number of holes in my base (rather randomly) because I cut up a few thousand aluminium parts so made a jig that sat on a plate which then got bolted to the bed.

• 2 weeks later...