Rivnuts / Nutserts into an S3 Bulkhead door-stay

Landrover17H

Got a package today. Mr 'discomikey'    has done his good deed for the day.   From what I can see; not sure at any price I'd have got there without his  intervention. Whilst these freely exist, DM had them, and getting my own would have meant taking a punt, importing sets from all over the world - with no guarantee of the correct item for my effort. It could ahve got very silly, very quickly.

He asked me to shove a few pennies to the forum, which I've done. More than happy to put what I'd have spent importing what would, just-as-likely, been incorrect fasteners, as support to the forum. 

My galving lives on.

Mr 'discomikey'     THANK YOU!

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Like 2

A bit late, but  M6 rivnut 9.1mm hole with 0.25mm to 3mm expansion  should have worked in your 9.9mm hole

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/products/m6-rivet-nut-thin-sheet-steel-grip-range-0-25-3-00mm-hole-size-9-1mm

or even bigger grip range https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/products/m6-rivet-nut-flanged-steel-grip-range-3-50-5-5mm-hole-size-9-1mm

Edited by zardos

Those are the standard-fare. The listed 0.25 to 3mm is 'sheet thickness' hole-size 9.1mm. For a hole 9.1mm, all the M6 seen, crush out to about 9.7-9.8mm and  'just about' touch the sides at 9.9mm, but don't grip well enough for something getting as hard a life as the door-stays on an S3.

Made exactly for this application; DM's 9.9mm hole-size for M8 appears very obscure, I've yet to see this anywhere else, including Wurth's current catalogue. As discussed the standard M8 rivnut would be too big. Hence why I was very happy for him to intervene. Not tried them yet but I'm expecting them to crush out to at least 10.5 -10.6mm, which gives the 'collar' required.

I'm still thunderstruck that having read my post, he should know he had the solution!

Edited by Landrover17H