Speedo

First of all should it flicker in to life and move a little on start up and move when engine is revved as mine does not.

Speedo not working, looked old and the bit that goes in to Dial at Dash was broken so put Brand New one in today, still not working. Took drive gear thingy out and cleaned and put back in but still no Joy.

It does not look to bad but then again I'm Definitely no expert on things like this.

IMG_20200520_182958.jpg

You need to look at the hole in the outer end of that gear to make sure it is still square, not reamed into a circle that can’t grip the flattened end of the drive cable.

I f you replaced the damaged cable with a Britpart cable, then that is a likely candidate for trouble - their cables are usually made with an adequate outer, but the inner cable is usually to short and doesn’t engage properly in the gear or the speedo.

47 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Check how tight the rear output flange nut is. As the drive gear is only slid into the shaft and held by friction. So if the nuts loose the gear can spin on the shaft.

Mike

Where is that Nut Mate ?

First things first, take the sensor out of the transfer box, remove the drive gear thingy in your picture and attach a power drill to the shaft of the sensor, if you let it rotate, the rpm's should go up on the dash, if they don't, the problem is not the transfer box, if they do, the problem is in the transfer box.

5 minutes ago, Koen110 said:

First things first, take the sensor out of the transfer box, remove the drive gear thingy in your picture and attach a power drill to the shaft of the sensor, if you let it rotate, the rpm's should go up on the dash, if they don't, the problem is not the transfer box, if they do, the problem is in the transfer box.

Do you mean Cable end ! Did try the Drill on end of cable and rpm,s did move on dash

3 minutes ago, kevin50 said:

Do you mean Cable end ! Did try the Drill on end of cable and rpm,s did move on dash

No, I mean on the shaft of the speed sensor, to find out if the sensor works or not. What engine do you have? My td4 has the sensor in attachment, I've pointed out the shaft in red, put power drill on that and test.

511WdbPT4FL._AC_SX355_.jpg

15 minutes ago, Koen110 said:

No, I mean on the shaft of the speed sensor, to find out if the sensor works or not. What engine do you have? My td4 has the sensor in attachment, I've pointed out the shaft in red, put power drill on that and test.

511WdbPT4FL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Mines 300tdi on to Lt77 conversion

7 minutes ago, western said:

Kev,  check the cable is fully seated & clicks into place on the speedo head. 

It should be in place as it turned on the drill, but will check. Not sure where Sensor is. Or if I have one.

12 minutes ago, western said:

You won't have that green sensor, only on Td5 with the electronic speedo. 

from your speedo the cable goes out into engine bay, down the bulkhead to the transfer box where you removed the drive gear from.

Yes Mate it's all connected now, but not working. But does work when transfer end is out and on Drill

Edited by kevin50

then for whatever reason the cable is not being driven by the gear in the transfer box, either because the cable drive is worn out or there is a problem in the transfer box itself. I would guess the square drive socket within the gear is no longer square or the end of the cable which goes into the drive is no longer square

I'm with Neil ^^^ sounds like a poor cable or part of the end square has been broken off at some point,  I'd go for a new speedo drive gear FRC3310 & a new drive cable but not britpart items. 

Drive gear -- https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/86100/0/speedo_drive_20_teeth_blue_discovery_1___defender

Speedo cable -- https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/242441/0/speedo_cable_1_piece_defender (the genuine LR item is £135)

Well It looked OK but when turning the cable just by my fingers the dial moved, tried the cable in the square bit and turned by hand and it just spun round the cable, just slightly moving the needle on Dial. My local Landy shop has ordered one for me.

• Like 1