kevin50

Temprature Rising

Not sure if the thread is common, may need an adaptor. 

Just Ordered 300Tdi Gauge , Thanks Everyone, Sorry for been Thick but I thought I already had the right one. Will try it when it comes and post   Progress.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Not being thick! It’s only through asking or experience you work out what’s what! :) glad you’re sorted! 

10 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Not being thick! It’s only through asking or experience you work out what’s what! :) glad you’re sorted! 

Cheers Mate Thanks

On 5/22/2020 at 7:51 PM, western said:

upper right of all 3 photo's is a disconnected plain black earth wire with a male bullet terminal, this needs to be connected to it's mate, 

Can you remember in my Electrics Thread we discussed this Black with Male Bullet , I looked and Looked but could not find a Mate to connect it with.

Only thing that I can get from this Lone Black circled in pic, is when I touch it to Earth On Temp Gauge my Battery Volt Dial works at Last, But the Needle goes all the way over to the  right  past the Full Level, Is this right or should it read lower down on the Dial ??

When Touched to any other Dial or even Bulkhead Earth nothing happens.

IMG_20200522_184045_LI (2).jpg

IMG_20200523_144107.jpg

Edited by kevin50

You need to trace the black wires from the gauges and their bulbs through the unravelling black insulating tape and look for a female plug socket.  If those wires aware all connected to the main loom inside that tape, then continue tracing to where they attach to the dash by a bolt or other terminal and make sure the metal is all clean.  To be honest, the terminals and connections on the gauges look quite corroded to me and would benefit from a clean up with a wire brush, Emery cloth or whatever else, and reassembly with a little Vaseline to keep them clean.  That doesn’t mean that the fault is t a gauge/sender mismatch - it could well be, but you can at least eliminate that corrosion and their poor contacts as a cause almost for free and prevent future problems.  But I think something should be connected to that circled male earth plug in the photo.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

You need to trace the black wires from the gauges and their bulbs through the unravelling black insulating tape and look for a female plug socket.  If those wires aware all connected to the main loom inside that tape, then continue tracing to where they attach to the dash by a bolt or other terminal and make sure the metal is all clean.  To be honest, the terminals and connections on the gauges look quite corroded to me and would benefit from a clean up with a wire brush, Emery cloth or whatever else, and reassembly with a little Vaseline to keep them clean.  That doesn’t mean that the fault is t a gauge/sender mismatch - it could well be, but you can at least eliminate that corrosion and their poor contacts as a cause almost for free and prevent future problems.  But I think something should be connected to that circled male earth plug in the photo.

Everything Seems to be working in Binnacle, apart from Temp Gauge but we now no its the wrong one.

I agree there should be something for this black wire to plug in to but Ive looked for weeks now and there is Just nothing there for it. It comes out of the Binnacle loom and all those other wires coming out it  With it  go straight in to Binnacle to there own connections, but nothing for this.

One thing In Pic The 3 smaller Dials are linked together with black Earths but none of them  going to Large Speedo Dial, could it be something to do with That ? 

The speedo lighting is the only bit on the speedo that needs the black earth wires. the female earth connection should be in the main loom & be a 4 way common bullet connector [see photo below] 

on the other gauges it's only the gauge earths & lighing that's daisy chained then to the main loom.

imageproxy.jpg

3 minutes ago, western said:

The speedo lighting is the only bit on the speedo that needs the black earth wires. the female earth connection should be in the main loom & be a 4 way common bullet connector [see photo below] 

on the other gauges it's only the gauge earths & lighing that's daisy chained then to the main loom.

imageproxy.jpg

There is some of these up behind in Dash but none with Black wires, forgot to mention the Battery Gauge isn't working either unless its earthed to Bulkhead , but Needle is to far forward, I think. 

I still think that plain black has to go to a earth, if you can't find the 4 way connector just run a new same size or thicker wire to the earth point on bulkhead, 

the battery gauge will sit to the left of centre when engine/alternator is not running, with engine/alternator running it should move up &sit around the vertical while driving this then shows the battery charge state. 

11 minutes ago, western said:

I still think that plain black has to go to a earth, if you can't find the 4 way connector just run a new same size or thicker wire to the earth point on bulkhead, 

the battery gauge will sit to the left of centre when engine/alternator is not running, with engine/alternator running it should move up &sit around the vertical while driving this then shows the battery charge state. 

OK Thanks. I will have another look if I still don't find it , will run it to Bulkhead. This just Leaves Battery Gauge to get working properly.

All the battery gauge needs is the plain white [ignition switched] which you have connected.

a plain black earth to a good earth point 

just check these are on the correct gauge terminals,  White to 12V + & a the Black to the  negative -ve

& the gauge illumination which is connected. it doesn't need anything else.

5 hours ago, western said:

All the battery gauge needs is the plain white [ignition switched] which you have connected.

a plain black earth to a good earth point 

just check these are on the correct gauge terminals,  White to 12V + & a the Black to the  negative -ve

& the gauge illumination which is connected. it doesn't need anything else.

Checked and they are pluged in the right terminals, the white leads to a green coming down from loom with all other wires,  is that right ?

, the white leads to a green coming down from loom with all other wires,  is that right ?

No, it needs to go to another plain white wire, 

Item 75 lower right in the diagram is the battery gauge

IMG_20200524_204253.jpg

4 minutes ago, western said:

No, it needs to go to another plain white wire

OMG Don't think theres one of them there either, do you mean one coming down with the rest ?

Yes or piggyback it off the back of ignition switch plain white wire, but there should be a spare female bullet connect with a rubber covering to plug into.

if you go with a new plain white from ign switch use one of these to connect it & ensure its well covered to aviod anything else touching it

download.jpg

24 minutes ago, western said:

Yes or piggyback it off the back of ignition switch plain white wire, but there should be a spare female bullet connect with a rubber covering to plug into.

if you go with a new plain white from ign switch use one of these to connect it & ensure its well covered to aviod anything else touching it

download.jpg

Right Thanks Will have a look tomorrow for the White, Here is Pics from a spare Loom I have,  it has the excact same wires as the one I am using now,  You can see that Mysterious  Lone Black to the right which I have, and it also shows the white Leading to Green.  

If I find the White, I am now going to have a Lone Green hanging there too. I took these pics to show that there is Nothing for the Black to connect too. 

IMG_20200524_134755.jpg

IMG_20200524_134820.jpg

I would still run that black to earth, 

the white I would go as I mentioned above, I can't remember how my battery gauge was connected on the old instrument pack, I swapped to Td5 gauges a few years ago. 

the plain green being disconnected can just have a single female bullet connector fitted & it won't cause any problems. the wiring diagram as you can see above shows the battery gauge connecting to plain white wire, so don't know why its on the green.

16 minutes ago, western said:

I would still run that black to earth, 

the white I would go as I mentioned above, I can't remember how my battery gauge was connected on the old instrument pack, I swapped to Td5 gauges a few years ago. 

the plain green being disconnected can just have a single female bullet connector fitted & it won't cause any problems. the wiring diagram as you can see above shows the battery gauge connecting to plain white wire, so don't know why its on the green.

OK Mate will do that tomorrow. and try it.

So if I cant find white, I splice in to one ?  What's that spade Connector called  ? never seen one like that.

it's a 15 amp piggyback spade. Halfords sell them & do most car shops in packs of 10 or more

3 minutes ago, western said:

it's a 15 amp piggyback spade. Halfords sell them & do most car shops in packs of 10 or more

Cheers Whats the reason for using this type ?

Right I was Confused before but now Im even More Confused. I tried joining to White but nothing happened.

Hope you can understand this.

First pic is how I originally had it,  with the Earths. Temp Gauge rising up to the red, Nothing on Battery Gauge.

Second pic I moved the double Earthed Arrowed in pic 1

to number 1 and now the  Battery Gauge works but moves right over off the Scale, Temp Gauge seems to work as only moving up past the first line, had it running a good 10 Minuets.

This works the same with that White wire either attached to the Green or the White Ignition.

So a little bit further forward . I think. I have the Lone Black to Bulkhead,

1553208784_IMG_20200522_184057_LI(2).thumb.jpg.3cce0b9d11ebeec670912c3f808a9d21.jpg

IMG_20200525_154517.jpg

Edited by kevin50

Battery gauge will only work with ign on, plain white wires are switched on by the ignition switch. 

Plain green are also ignition switch but via the fuse box, 

The battery gauge when ign is off should stay at the far left of gauge = no power, when ign is on it should rise to indicate a battery voltage level, with engine running while driving it should normally sit around vertical to indicate a charge going to battery from alternator. 

The temp gauge should show a level it takes a diesel quite a long time at idle to fully warm up, it should be better when driving. 

20 minutes ago, western said:

Battery gauge will only work with ign on, plain white wires are switched on by the ignition switch. 

Plain green are also ignition switch but via the fuse box, 

The battery gauge when ign is off should stay at the far left of gauge = no power, when ign is on it should rise to indicate a battery voltage level, with engine running while driving it should normally sit around vertical to indicate a charge going to battery from alternator. 

The temp gauge should show a level it takes a diesel quite a long time at idle to fully warm up, it should be better when driving. 

Battery gauge only moves with Ignition on or Engine running, but goes right off scale. With Ignition off it goes back to far left. So don't think working properly. Temp Gauge does move up as Engine is Running, so not sure if that's working correctly now or if I still need the 300 TDI one.