kevin50

Temprature Rising

Can you post a photo of the terminals of the battery gauge as they are now, it shouldn't go off the far right of the scale with engine running, so it could be dead, a very good alternative is the VDO Vision range of gauges, I have 2 of the 12v voltmeters in my 110, they have a much better scale. https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/vdo-voltmeter-gauge-332010001

this can be obtained at a later date, just safely terminate the gauge connections if you decide to replace the existing  battery gauge. it could be left in place but disconnected.

I think the temp gauge is working ok but as we think it's a gauge/sender mismatch we can revisit it when the 300tdi gauge arrives.

1 hour ago, western said:

Can you post a photo of the terminals of the battery gauge as they are now, it shouldn't go off the far right of the scale with engine running, so it could be dead, a very good alternative is the VDO Vision range of gauges, I have 2 of the 12v voltmeters in my 110, they have a much better scale. https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/vdo-voltmeter-gauge-332010001

this can be obtained at a later date, just safely terminate the gauge connections if you decide to replace the existing  battery gauge. it could be left in place but disconnected.

I think the temp gauge is working ok but as we think it's a gauge/sender mismatch we can revisit it when the 300tdi gauge arrives.

Will get pic tomorrow, don't think leads as on wrong way as  one male and one female .

So could my Battery Gauge be knackered too? I have an aftermarket one in my Disco which might fit.

Check you engine ground.  Your main loom ground.  Your ground connection from the gauge to the main ground.  The best idea is to run a ground from the gauges to the engine directly, but make sure the main engine ground is solid.

Run a new wire straight from gauge to sender.  The loom connectors cause endless problems.

You should have bought a VDO and not waste money on the LR gauge.  They are carp.

33 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Check you engine ground.  Your main loom ground.  Your ground connection from the gauge to the main ground.  The best idea is to run a ground from the gauges to the engine directly, but make sure the main engine ground is solid.

Run a new wire straight from gauge to sender.  The loom connectors cause endless problems.

You should have bought a VDO and not waste money on the LR gauge.  They are carp.

Its a Full Rebuild, all Main Earth Straps/ Cables are new, but have been stood a while will take them off and give them a good clean. 

I have this in my Disco they were in when I bought it , Are these the same as VDO ? The Volts one might do if mines Knackered 

IMG_20191030_163846 (3).jpg

That voltmeter would work & can be used to check the wiring & battery volts when engine off & when charging.

4 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Thanks, Got a 300Tdi on the way for Temp ,

5 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Will Give it a go, Hopefully have the same  wiring , so just swap it over to one out of  Disco  and see what happens.

11 hours ago, kevin50 said:

I have this in my Disco they were in when I bought it , Are these the same as VDO ?

Well, they fit in the same hole but that's about it - those look like cheap ebay ones. Probably OK on the voltmeter but not sure I'd trust my engine to the other two.

Unless your vehicle is 24v and the battery gauge is 12v there's no reason it should move off the scale unless it's knackered, or if it does it only when the engine's running it could be another wiring fault allowing the alternator voltage to float way above 14v, which is a Bad ThingTM and needs fixing.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Well, they fit in the same hole but that's about it - those look like cheap ebay ones. Probably OK on the voltmeter but not sure I'd trust my engine to the other two.

Unless your vehicle is 24v and the battery gauge is 12v there's no reason it should move off the scale unless it's knackered, or if it does it only when the engine's running it could be another wiring fault allowing the alternator voltage to float way above 14v, which is a Bad ThingTM and needs fixing.

They were already fitted to Disco when I bought it, not my kind of thing, But they do Work.will only use the Voltmeter if I need it. Thanks for the Cheap Comment 😁

6 minutes ago, kevin50 said:

They were already fitted to Disco when I bought it, not my kind of thing, But they do Work.will only use the Voltmeter if I need it. Thanks for the Cheap Comment 😁

Cheap but true.

Mo

6 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Thanks for the Cheap Comment 😁

You're welcome :D

• Like 1

Rigged  the Cheapy Volt Gauge to wires off mine  and works perfect, Ignition on it sits just under 13.  Engine running just over 14 same as on Disco.

Also pic of Terminals on Binicle. 

IMG_20200526_173327.jpg

IMG_20200526_174008.jpg

• Like 1

That's good news Kev, I would fit that voltmeter instead of the suspect orignal. 

in the 2nd photo, I think the U clamp is a bit close to the upper terminal, that may have been touching the end fitting on the wire. 

2 hours ago, western said:

That's good news Kev, I would fit that voltmeter instead of the suspect orignal. 

in the 2nd photo, I think the U clamp is a bit close to the upper terminal, that may have been touching the end fitting on the wire. 

Its possible but I had the top nut on and off that many times swapping earths about, wonder if Ive had it touching all the time, will check tomorrow.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, western said:

That is pretty close.  If that’s the old temperature gauge, and the terminal is the one to the sender, then it could be shorting when the wire is connected an bypassing the sender, which would give full scale (or close to it) reading.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snagger said:

That is pretty close.  If that’s the old temperature gauge, and the terminal is the one to the sender, then it could be shorting when the wire is connected an bypassing the sender, which would give full scale (or close to it) reading.

Its the Battery Volt.

That Terminal close to U Clamp is the one the White wire attaches to the other is the Earth wire. 

Edited by kevin50