Rear (Tailgate) Door Types

Other than the Puma how many types of tailgate doors are there? 

The square bottom one is on all previous Defenders right the way back to who knows when, aren't they?

There are some slight variations for heated glass, wash wipe and high level break lights but other than that aren't they all the same?

All glazed internally?

Was there even any big difference to the physical door even with other trim levels or was it just the same door?

20170407_191719.jpg

98361761_534498194099130_6669502577626841088_n.jpg

No major changes until the newer type door (which I suspect you are referring to as ‘Puma’ - although it came in for the 2002 model year) other than minor brackets etc. and holes for wiper and the like.

Some doors had an extra bracket for the dovetail below the door lock, later models did away with these. There are also two types of door stay, the earlier one which is manually released and the later sprung type.

The basic door geometry is the same from 2016 right back to the series days. Certainly Series III - maybe II and IIA as well. If I remember correctly the series versions only had two hinges. 

• Like 1

Thanks. thats as i thought.

I just wondered if i'd missed anything. To be honest what i'm after is confirmation the glass is the same in all the doors. I think theres 4mm and 5mm floating around as there is with the Alpines. Heated and not but all should be the same size i reckon. Some had high level brake lights and such but physically i think same size.

There are three versions of the door itself.  

The Series II/III version, which has only two hinges, a slightly different arrangement for the roller in the stay mechanism, and a different configuration that puts the spare wheel mount central and low down.  Wipers were an aftermarket mod, and I don’t think heated glass was even an option (the Queen had a modified door on a SII with wipers inside and out to clear the fog from her dogs’ breathing in the back).  All but the very latest had the simple mortise latch, only the late vehicles had antiburst locks.  If I remember rightly, they got a different skin due to the relocation of the key barrel, while the older locks had the key barrel in the handle aperture, a change just like the driver’s door.

The 90/110 version was used all the way until 2002, and was a revised version of the above with a rejigged frame to move the spare wheel up and right to allow the use of the tow hitch on the cross member, had the third hinge and provision for a wiper motor and heated screen, and had the tab added to activate courtesy lights.  Some versions of this door had the bracket for the dovetail  supporting wedge below the latch, like the Series doors, while others didn’t, and it doesn’t appear to be related to whether the spare wheel mount was installed or not.

The final type is the 2002 version with single piece pressed frame, steel skin, rounded window in a rubber seal, Discovery type spare wheel mount and provision for a high level brake light.

The glazing, glazing retainers, handle and lock system were interchangeable between the Series and pre 2002 type.  I suspect the latch mechanism is still interchangeable on the post 2002 version, but the central locking arm would be missing.

The hinges were also changed on the later version to non-reparable types; the vertical pins, their bronze phosphor balls and bottom springs and locknuts all being deleted.  I doubt there would be any impediment to fitting the old type to the new door or vice versa, should you want to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ghound said:

I make these Puma look doors to fit tdi and td5 etc.

Curved glass, single piece galvanised steel skins, they take the later Puma wheel carriers.

20200323_160102_copy_1028x851.jpg

20200323_160306_copy_1064x2304.jpg

What would the price be on one of these? 

2 hours ago, Ghound said:

I make these Puma look doors to fit tdi and td5 etc.

Curved glass, single piece galvanised steel skins, they take the later Puma wheel carriers.

Now then that throws a cat amongst the pigeons......they are rounded corners but take the square bottom glass..... 

9 minutes ago, tweetyduck said:

Now then that throws a cat amongst the pigeons......they are rounded corners but take the square bottom glass..... 

Yes, it uses the standard square bottom glass.

Or without any glass.

20190904_180729.jpg

Edited by Ghound