Ford Transit DI engine in an S3 ?

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

Managed to get son to do the timing belt on the fitted ford di engine it should have been done a while back but son didn't want it doing but after me and a few others banging on about it he finally caved in and said ok, so its a transit DI engine not sure which model its from as they was fitted to mk3/4 and 5 transits obviously will need a timing kit but all the ones i've seen are for later models of transet so just wondered if anyone could advise me on this please 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic I know but I remember fitting a Di engine to a 109 many years ago. Straightforward enough as a conversion and pulled the vehicle along quite well but one of the noisiest engines I’ve come across in a Landrover.

23 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

one of the noisiest engines I’ve come across in a Landrover.

This ^^^

A mate fitted one in his 101 :rtfm:.

It's even noisier when you sit on top of the damned thing.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:02 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

Yes there are numbers on it but i think son has them written down somewhere.

Sorry forgot about this thread but I've tried looking for the engine number but with the wings back on it's hard to find it so mite have to get under it at some point and have another look:(

On 6/6/2020 at 1:49 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

It looks like its was a turbo engine as it still had the EGR valve fitted but we have de- egr'd it since :)

It's got a turbo pump on it...

Are you aware of how to tune a CAV pump equipped Di?

• 1 month later...

now my 2.25 di injector pump is gone I feel really sorry I ditched my old van with the famous 'banana' engine (2.5di non turbo, bosch fuel pump). A 86ish horses, noisy but VERY relyable.

even in the smiley transit I couldn't have a conversation with the backseat if I was driving a 110 km/h top speed... 

Edited by xychix

8 hours ago, Arjan said:

You can still buy these Transits in France easily....

most are with lucas turbo pumps, on the transit forum I got nothing but negative info on them.

If the budget allows I'd rather stay in a more 'mainstream' approach so you'll all be able to help the trouble shooting ;)

3 hours ago, xychix said:

most are with lucas turbo pumps, on the transit forum I got nothing but negative info on them.

If the budget allows I'd rather stay in a more 'mainstream' approach so you'll all be able to help the trouble shooting ;)

Yes what I found driving it other than the noise it had similar power as a 2.25p engine but the sound of a 2.25d engine, shame really but a turbo or higher gearing may help to keep the noise down slightly :)