Wiring loom rebuild

Hi all , truck is a 300tdi 90 , so I’m rebuilding the main harness as there were loads of scotch blocks and dodgy tapping ins . I’ve stripped the harness down to its component parts and seeing as it’s here I want to completely delete the dim dip circuit, I have searched and found Dave asked the same question but wanted to check I was doing it rite before snipping away . So first question is what is this connector for and am I safe to remove it ?

image.thumb.jpg.94d267d46ef1f15c825f60d95537d1a4.jpg

there wasn’t anything attached to it and I had a look on LRWorkshop but couldn’t see it, second brown/green trace wire I’m presuming is for the diode on the inner wing and safe to remove, 

image.thumb.jpg.cc50c15a63612103c7274bc188d385f2.jpg

and lastly the dim dip relay itself, from reading the only wires needed are the blue/red trace which you join together and you can safely remove the others?

image.thumb.jpg.83b4a777d3b431657b66c2b87d64e428.jpg

was worried about the blue wire here , so if anyone can confirm the above is correct or no you’ll blow yourself up you numpty 😜 I would greatly appreciate it.

cheers Ian 

the plain brown comes from a joint off the main light switch & the brown/green goes to the dim dip relay from the resistor. see page 20/32 in http://www.legionlandrover.com/manuales/electrical schemes - defender 300 tdi.pdf upper part of diagram, the dim dip relay is on this page as well.

I don't know what that red 3 pin connector is for, can't see anything like it in the above 300tdi wiring diagrams.

• Like 1

Cheers western , so joining the blue/red wires together and removing everything else is fine , thought that's how it was but wanted to check . I know it's definitely factory but couldn't find it on LR Workshop either .

Yes I will need to speak to him about some connectors at some point , but I think he's closed his shop during lockdown as it's not on eBay . Just a thought , what about for a factory fitted alarm ? Lights flash when it goes off .

It’s behind the binnacle or by the fuse board I think , there is another connector similar/same for the clock . It’s on the wire from the dim dip relay back to the fuse board, I think can look tomorrow.

Yes I did this mod on my 200 loom. I can't help with the red connector, but the only wire you need to keep is the blue/red, cut and join either side of the relay. The rest of them can go in the bin. I was quite surprised at how much I took out. 

• Like 1

Cheers all , yes I was surprised as well Dave it takes out a fair chunk, so thought while it’s on the bench it might as well go and make it less cluttered behind the dash . I can leave the little red plug in for now as it’s after the relay just in case it’s needed .

The other mod I did at the same time was to add relays for the headlights. Those yellow relay holders just clip together, so I got 2 more of them, swapped a few wires around down at the fuse box, and added in a dedicated power feed for each. Probably how LR should have done it originally.

• Like 1

Yes I agree , already got all the bits to do that mod just using the old circuit to switch the relays for the lights . I know Landrover didn’t but is there any need to add a relay for the side lights ? I am and always will use led’s so I’m thinking not .

Cheers all, @daveturnbull did you also remove the aircon wiring as that’s not much use either ?

And for 100pts does anyone know what the symbol for fuse 19 means looked on line but no joy , think it’s something to do with the aircon as a brown slate wire from that plug loops round through the 5amp fuse back to the plug .

image.thumb.jpg.36f0535c412e4566d856ed6eb165b591.jpg

9 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Cheers all, @daveturnbull did you also remove the aircon wiring as that’s not much use either ?

And for 100pts does anyone know what the symbol for fuse 19 means looked on line but no joy , think it’s something to do with the aircon as a brown slate wire from that plug loops round through the 5amp fuse back to the plug .

image.thumb.jpg.36f0535c412e4566d856ed6eb165b591.jpg

I think that is the "Take That" fuse  https://takethat.com/

• Haha 1