1994 110 stationwagon 2.5n/a to 3.9 EFI autobox

IMG_5267.thumb.JPG.86308c0cb422d59c886ce6150ff2cb25.JPG

I recall the alternator goes up here on the same bracket as the aircon and tensioner

Middle one is the water pump and fan and dizzy housing 

Power steering pump has a surrounding bracket , I skipped painting the steering pump , regret that now I think thats gonna have to come of. 

Edited by Leclance

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So I’m turns out if you adopt two little girls you don’t get time to go play building your defender for a couple of years. I have finally rebuilt the bulkhead and remounted it. Started putting components back on the bulk head and engine/gearbox/transfer box etc. Turns out i really should have checked the drive shafts still mount on teh hand brake and front of the transfer box before i welded the engine mounts in place. 

Looks like the brackets i have used moved the transfer box forward by 2-4 inches, the rear drive shaft is to short and the front one is now to long. I’m fooling myself and hoping there is a solution that doesn’t involve be taking the engine and gearbox out and finding the right brackets and re welding the engine mounts . 

Also tried to put the seat box on and the high low diff selector is too high and/or too far forward so it hits the seat box just below the handbrake handle. 

And some good news ……..I need to find some good news. 

1 hour ago, Leclance said:

the high low diff selector is too high and/or too far forward

Are you sure you don't mean too far back? It it's hitting the seatbox I mean, it should be in front, shouldn't it?

It's quite possible that your props will be a different length, but not to worry, D&F propshafts near you will make them to your spec for not much money -less than if you buy them off the shelf from the likes of Britpart, and be heavy duty.

The autobox is a lot longer than the manual it replaces (around 6"), where were you planning on losing that length, at the props, or moving the whole lot forward up to the radiator?

On the current positioning the transfer box is 2-4 inches further forward towards the front . The gearbox ends further forward than the old N/A manual gearbox . So the engine is further forward but I don’t know how the length of the v8 compares to the length of the N/A . There is a noticeable difference in the space between the bulkhead and the engine . However there still looks like plenty of space between the pulleys and the radiator . I‘lol get a new radiator as the old N/A one isn’t ok to use and see if any of the pipe work fits which will be my next challenge if the engine is to far forward . 

Depending on clearance issues from the bulkhead, I would move the engine and transmission back to their standard positions.  Firstly, it’ll help with cost by not needing custom shafts.  Secondly, it helps future maintenance by keeping standard parts.  Thirdly, it allows more space under the bonnet for a thick radiator, air conditioning condenser or any other additions you might make.  Fourth, it may make a small difference to handling by having the centre of gravity that little bit further back, but that is a bit of a stretch and any difference would likely be very small, even imperceptible.  But, that all depends on the engine and ancillaries clearing the other parts under the bonnet - if having the engine in its current forward position allows full size foot wells but moving it aft requires trimming, I’d consider that a major reason to splash out on the custom shafts and live with the slight complications.

TBH custom propshafts are no biggie, it's pretty rare to damage a prop and UJ's are fairly... universal :ph34r:

The exhaust is another factor although in a Series it gets custom from the Y-piece back whatever you do - it's nice to be able to use the RRC down pipes & Y piece as a standard part, plus the bolt-in crossmember if you can.

• Haha 1

I am a bit puzzled by this. The V8 was always mounted further forward than the early 90/110 four cylinders, until the advent of the 300 Tdi in the early 1990s, when this engine was shunted forward too. The transfer box in your vehicle should be staying in the standard position, using RRC auto mounts on the gearbox and chassis. I have done this several times with no problems.

I guess you are using the Discovery auto gearbox/chassis mountings, which must be different in some respect. I never transplanted a V8 from a Discovery, so I dont know for sure.

Using RRC mounts, all the propshafts and exhaust are standard items.