P38 teething problems

Simon_CSK

Driving the car today I gave it a little gas and the gearbox kicked down as it should, then got a gearbox error followed by fuse 6 failed. I have had the fuse 6 failure before and when checked the fuse was in tact. 

Can someone tell me what fuse 6 does and what is the likely gearbox issue? Low fluid?

image.thumb.png.7c0a9fa9d82a4db8c2cbc66236fb5a8e.png

Could be as simple as a bad ground to one of the ECUs. Gearbox error is probably a CANbus error if you go look at it.

Edit: never mind that, read the diagram wrong, ECUs come from fuse 7. So something in the H-gate.

Strange that that would be the trigger though.

Edited by elbekko

3 hours ago, elbekko said:

image.thumb.png.7c0a9fa9d82a4db8c2cbc66236fb5a8e.png

Could be as simple as a bad ground to one of the ECUs. Gearbox error is probably a CANbus error if you go look at it.

Edit: never mind that, read the diagram wrong, ECUs come from fuse 7. So something in the H-gate.

Strange that that would be the trigger though.

So a bad set up with the H gate could cause the problem?

I haven't set up the selector prpoerly yet and didn't know that was connected to the computer. Obviously everything is.

image.thumb.png.ee9f455415280c28104ba7dc95416014.png

image.thumb.png.22208fdd60a7120d8ea168dc851bb6f7.png

I can imagine the gearbox ECU doesn't like it when the signals from the H gate telling it which gear it needs to be in go away.

I really suggest you get the RAVE yourself for looking at this kind of diagram, it's quite easy to navigate: http://rave.stringsandints.com/RR '02 - RR P38 - Defender.rar
If you don't have a Windows computer, there's a pure PDF version of it floating around somewhere too, but I find it less easy to navigate.