It starts! Put fuel in, took the pin out of the fire extinguisher, pressurised the system, had a leak around the cannister on the fuel filter (bad O ring), binned it, fitted an in-line filter, bought another (bigger) fire extinguisher, checked the whole system, pressurised it, no leaks. Fired right up, ran like a pig at first and then settled into a rough idle around 1200 RPM. Tacho says it's doing >6000 RPM but MS and my ears say otherwise so have to look at that.

It is smoking a fair bit of blue smoke and smells like burning oil but it's been sat for 8 years so I'm going to get it properly hot before I get too worried. There's a lot of smoke from everywhere while the diverse range of schmoo burns off.

I'm getting a very odd hesitation when applying throttle, it's almost carb-like in the initial stall then revving. 

I've not touched the stepper motor so do I need to if it's running?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations! :D

It will be rough as hell when you first start it as everything will be "near enough" but nowhere near right.

You just need to go through the various bits and bobs in order of priority - 1st thing is to get the timing right (value in MS equals value shown by timing light), until that's bob on nothing else is worth fidddling with.

Then get it idling about right, which gives you a basic idea that you've got the bottom corner of the fuel map about right, then worry about other stuff from there.

4 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Congratulations! :D

It will be rough as hell when you first start it as everything will be "near enough" but nowhere near right.

You just need to go through the various bits and bobs in order of priority - 1st thing is to get the timing right (value in MS equals value shown by timing light), until that's bob on nothing else is worth fidddling with.

Then get it idling about right, which gives you a basic idea that you've got the bottom corner of the fuel map about right, then worry about other stuff from there.

Looks like I need to buy a timing light, I don't have one!

Worse than  that, the 4.0 doesn't have a timing mark on the pulley :lol:

I actually timed mine by putting a spare V-belt pulley on, setting up a timing pointer to match TDC and the replacing the proper pulley and marking it.

Sure there must be a better/nicer way perhaps using the cam position sensor hole and wheel as an accurate marker to set it all up?

So as well as learning how to bleed brakes and clutch, I'm going to have to learn about timing. I do quite like this stuff.

I'd assumed I could find TDC the same way I did for fixing the MS trigger wheel and just mark the crank pulley but I'm going to assume if that was the way, you'd have suggested it.

I don't even know which is the can sensor hole! Timing light is ordered, this is going to be a steep curve but looking forward to it.

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Worse than  that, the 4.0 doesn't have a timing mark on the pulley :lol:

I actually timed mine by putting a spare V-belt pulley on, setting up a timing pointer to match TDC and the replacing the proper pulley and marking it.

Sure there must be a better/nicer way perhaps using the cam position sensor hole and wheel as an accurate marker to set it all up?

IIRC the woodruff key is at TDC. So fairly easy to mark.

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

IIRC the woodruff key is at TDC. So fairly easy to mark.

I could never find info on it, if you've got something official that'd be very useful to know!

Figured it out years ago while looking at a crank, but my memory is fuzzy as always. I'll try to remember to verify when I have my crank in my hands in a few weeks.

I thought I'd seen somewhere the keyway points at cylinder #1 when the engine's at TDC but can't recall where.

2 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Page 18 of the MS manual.

Which one - the megasquirt.info site, Nige's instructions, or a thread on here, or somewhere else?

Fair enough - that didn't exist when I did mine :lol: so I've not read it!

I know I'm going to ask one of those questions everyone hates but after searching, all of the advice I can find is about timing chains or distributors.

Can I confirm that the best way to time this thing without existing markings is to:

1. Crack off the pulley bolt and washer to expose the woodruff key

2. Mark outside edge of pulley wheel in line with the woodruff

3. Mark the engine in line with the spark plug hole and centre of the pulley wheel so when the two marks meet, the engine is at TDC

Is this going to be precise enough or do I need to come at it from a different approach?

Use a piston stop, make a pointer, wind engine one way, mark pulley, wind other way, mark pulley, TDC is in the middle.

This sort of thing, but I made one with an old sparkplug and a bolt:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RocwooD-Nylon-Piston-Chainsaw-Brushcutter/dp/B07CRNXQYR

• Like 1

^ What Bowie said.

It's very hard to DIY up an accurate pointer, but it's far easier to make a pointer and then accurately mark the crank pulley using a DTI or piston stop.

As above really, always best and safest to use a mechanical means, something down the number 1 spark plug hole to find the top of the piston as it approached TDC. I've had RV8s that are as much as 20 degrees out on their pulley markings so I never trust them. On my LS1/6 there are no timing marks or pointer so I made up a pointer and marked the pulley using the method described above.

2 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

pointers

I saw what you did there...

• Haha 2