Sign in to follow this  
Sharp

Refurbished steering box leaking

First turn of the key today having fitted a refurbished steering box, new steering column and pipes and fluid is pouring out of where the steering column attaches. I've gone around the pipes with a piece of toilet paper and they're bone dry. Could this be something I've done? At the moment I'm just assuming the refurbished box is faulty.

IMG_20200602_110134.thumb.jpg.ae0e2eb03bd8c98773899962a44f7400.jpg

IMG_20200602_105824.thumb.jpg.bcbe1bc6bf26bd855223078e7ceb66b7.jpgIMG_20200602_105940.thumb.jpg.d5e88e75e79042ec6f9bdf6f91483719.jpg

That's not unusual with some refurbishers, though usually it happens just outside the warranty period; the general advice on here is just buy new. I know, not cheap.  In this case presumably you can take it back. If not one other possibility is the Zeus seals.

Thanks, I had read similar advice. Sadly I don't have a grand to spend on a new box at the moment, I thought going to a reputable dealer instead of ebay would be a bit safer but I wish I'd saved £100 and bought one off ebay now. My old adwest box is getting collected on Friday, I'm not sure whether to cancel it and keep it now. The replacement box looks aftermarket.

There are very few companies in the industry who are trustworthy.  For steering boxes, Adwest are the only refurbished units that I’d buy, given that they are the original manufacturer.  The recon industry is 10% re, 90% con.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Do you know anyone who refurbishes adwest boxes? I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that they were no longer in existence, or at least not refurbishing boxes anymore

Edited by Sharp

I don’t.  That leaves the path of refurbishing it yourself.  People are often concerned that they lack the skills or tools to do so, but so the vast majority of so called professionals.  The difference is that by doing it yourself, you can be sure the parts were inspected and replaced as necessary, with no faulty parts reused, and you’ll have the incentive to do a proper job.  

I had considered doing it myself after watching Mike's (Britannica Restorations) YouTube videos but ironically I decided against it to get it back on the road quicker. I'll see what they come back to me with but I might buy a cheap one off eBay and keep my old one with a view to repairing it without any time pressure

David Beaumont's used to do steering boxes and as far as I know had a good rep re gearbox rebuilds. I have no personal experience of them or connection. A bit back I was struggling to find a new one and came across them, and did a bit of digging.