Non insulated crimp terminals - - what am I doing wrong?

L19MUD

I am stumped by something so simple. I have crimped thousands of the insulated terminals but never used a crimper for non insulated ones. I bought decent ratchet crimpers and decent multiplugs but the results are awful whatever way I position the crimp in the tool. They just get stuck and crush in a mess. The terminal then just falls through uselessly in the block

Pictures to try and show the problemDSC_2063.thumb.JPG.61d04ada251f439976f2042deecb1b31.JPGDSC_2064.thumb.JPG.b009f5af5e9911504aeec7fb5c8be765.JPG

So annoying as holding me up now. Tempted to just connect the whole lot up one by one with insulated spade terminals but that would defeat a whole day's work getting the switch wiring done

You need to have the matching crimp die for the terminals.  Those dies do not look like what is normally used for uninsulated terminals.  Your photos are not very clear.  Make sure you do NOT twist the wires.  They need to lay straight for the terminals to wrap around them and clamp down.

I think you need to crimp the terminal in the right size section of the dye?

Normally it is smallest at the tip and gets larger towards the back... maybe worth trying  it in each slot untill you get the best result for that size of connector?

I have tried each size and in different orientations. There has to be a proper method for it

Even with the terminal crimped correctly I'm not impressed with the connectors which were over a tenner each 

3 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

I think those crimps are for cable lugs - like these:

image.jpeg.afa3be0d76b6468005de42900910a8ee.jpeg

That takes me to the second problem of the night as my hydraulic crimper for those terminals appears to have died and I can't see how it easily comes apart to reseal

DSC_2071.thumb.JPG.a269082be269ce98cce9390074fccb7c.JPG

2 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

These are good - I’ve tried a few different types of connector and not been happy with any of them really - I’ve seen these though and they are excellent. So my next purchase will be crimps for these.

The ones in your link? They are not great at holding the terminals securely in the connector, but is that my fault too? 

46 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223634302193

These are good - I’ve tried a few different types of connector and not been happy with any of them really - I’ve seen these though and they are excellent. So my next purchase will be crimps for these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183791438890

These look good but I think they are going to be too bulky for my needs

27 minutes ago, Red90 said:

The crimper looks fine.  You are using it wrong.  There is only one right place for the terminal to sit in the crimper.  

Yes just been on another supplier site and I seem to have the right crimper. Which orientation should I be using it? Open part of terminal to which side of the crimper? 

14 minutes ago, Red90 said:

The open side goes to the female side of the crimper with the curves to curl them around.  One side should be larger for the crimp over the wire insulation.

Try this video.  

More serious details here,  https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/crimping-terminals-the-importance-of-using-the-right-tool

Thanks. That's the way I was most successful. I think I am going to bin the multiplugs idea and use spade insulated terminals and terminate them at different lengths to solve the space issue where they bunch up. I will bundle them into numbered groups of cables so they are fairly easy to identify and connect. If those mate n lok are one of the best out there then that's pretty disappointing. 

I guess the connectors that are fitted as standard to modern cars are not able to buy or are expensive to crimp? 

Insulated spades are easy to get a perfect reliable connection every single time 

Most terminals for proprietary plugs will have a special (read: expensive) crimper made by the manufacturer of the plug system, though you can often get away with using the generic ones like in the videos. 

I’ve often found that it’s easy to apply too much pressure and distort the small terminals. 

37 minutes ago, Red90 said:

They are all available.

From where? The usual suspects such as vwp and aes just stock mate n lock and econoseal. 

I have just achieved a decent looking crimp but the strength of it is much less than an insulated spade terminal. I can't pull a spade terminal apart by hand but I can with the mate and lok ones

I'm not sure why those terminals have such a bad reputation as they seem much more reliable to me