Refitting upper side sections to 1991 110 CSW

As in the title.  When I disassembled the bodywork, some 3 years ago, I took loads of photos, but obviously not enough.  I'm now trying to work out how the front mountings of the upper side panels should be refitted.  The first photo below shows the front of the upper section fixing which has a shallow vertical pocket to accept a nut plate and a rectangular hole directly below the nut plate pocket.  The marks are still on the top and bottom but one holes showing where the mounting bolts, shown in the second photo, were.  Below the upper side is the waist capping which has quite a large hole with a section of crush tube welded in it.  This is directly below the rectangular cutout.  It appears that the upper side attaches to the waist capping and the waist capping is attached, by rivets, to the lower side.

DSCN1408.thumb.JPG.9b864e38740b1692a9b16b86c7d23d27.JPG

The second photo shows the clamping fittings I removed three years ago.  I've believe that the stud bolt with the special washer welded to it should be mounted through the crush tube with the washer between the upper and lower side sections.  The three little bent tabs are a loose fit in the crush tube bore, but how does the bracket arrangement fit?  The right hand end of the brackets has a largish hole, but not as large as the inner bore of the crush tube, and it is too close to the long leg of that bracket to fit over the stud bolt when the bracket is bolted to the nut plate in the pocket.  The lighter gauge section to the left I cannot fathom at all!  The LR 1987 One Ten Parts Catalogue, page 865, is not much help as it shows only a simple "L" shape for this bracket.  Also, of course, it doesn't show definitively how the fixings are attached.

DSCN1406.thumb.JPG.66c6079ec6cd8bfa71187fdff74751cb.JPG

So, can anybody put me straight on these mountings, please?  I've not got much hair left, and I certainly can't afford to tear any more out!  Many thanks, in advance, for any pointers.

Mike

the bolt/nut & round plates go each end of the tube hole in the lower panel,

the plate with the 2 captive nuts goes behind the raised area & the black part goes on the outside so it faces into the vehicle, with the long leg up & the short part between the lower & upper panels with the bolt through, the stepped plate on top.

pages 865/866 in here might help http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/9_body_and_chassis_p741-909.pdf

Western,

Many thanks for your description of the bracket mounting position.  I think I've got it right, as in the first photo, and the securing nut will screw down to secure the upper section to the waist rail.  Assuming the waist rail is secured to the lower section by rivets, the upper section would be secured.

DSCN1414.thumb.JPG.090c6d3d460916b6a4407eb10a95e849.JPG

But I still cannot work out what to do with the other two pieces.  They don't seem to fit anywhere. 

DSCN1417.thumb.JPG.c996d9f38a6ebd420cb5f5575f189a20.JPG

The big U-shaped section isn't large enough to fit from above the top section to below the bottom section, so where does it fit?

I'm still close to becoming totally bald☹️!

Thanks for the link you included.  This is, in fact, a copy of the 110 parts catalogue that I referenced, and provides no help whatsoever.

Thank you, Peaklander, for ending my frustration 😀😀😀.  When I disassembled and bagged the brackets I had kept the two parts of each assembly loosely bolted together, but had not made a note of the correct orientation.  I can now take another step in reassembly.  Thank you again.

Mike

Peaklander,

I've just been out and fitted one of these brackets, as in your photos, but I still don't know what they are for.  Since they each bear against the same panel as they are bolted to they don't seem to supply any support function.  The hole in each, on the inward facing surfaces when mounted, suggests that they are for mounting something else on, but the interior trim of the CSW covers them totally, and does not have any corresponding holes that would allow access to these brackets.  One of your photos appears to have a small rubber pad beneath the end of the bracket.  I have similar pads bagged with these brackets.  What is the purpose of these pads?

Perhaps these brackets have a use on other Defender models and are redundant on the CSW.  Any answers, please, or have I totally misunderstood their purpose?

Mike

They are probably used to apply outward pressure on the upper sides so as to align them correctly with the tub panel below. Mine have been like that since I bought my vehicle in 2015 but judging by the state of the cappings then, the sides hadn't been removed since 1996!

IMG_1774.thumb.JPG.d062b86fd1a0b9138d8a6de2afc509c8.JPG

It's a fixing point for the rear window surround trim panel lower forward edge one of the large head push in fir tree fasteners goes there, just looked at my 110CSW. Hold your rear side window trim up in place & all will be revealed.

• Like 1

So, all is revealed.  Still being a long way from fitting interior trim I hadn't considered checking it out.  Thank you, both, very much for the clarifications.

Mike

Edited by Troll Hunter
Typo.
  • Like 1