Rebuilding an 8274

darthdicky

Aaggghh catastrophe with mine tightening up lug to motor post and it turned and pulled wires off inside and out of brush20200723_174247.thumb.jpg.78aba95bd56e159b7f43d63ffbb73f51.jpg

So found some old motor brush wire and started repairing had to make a small well to melt solder into and then glued brush wire back into brush carbon with ultra violet hardening glue very fast and strong20200723_180408.thumb.jpg.15446078fcd2ef431de3680e458d6bd0.jpg20200723_180729.thumb.jpg.cd449a99ba93897ada975c2ca4b4e287.jpg

20200723_182450.thumb.jpg.351e073eb1ee84024813c7bc4d45c80c.jpg

Then bound brush wires together and insulated

20200723_181314.thumb.jpg.45b8d4e4c104c27feffe3ebaa22bbeca.jpg

Assembled and back onto winch

20200723_192013.thumb.jpg.9580df4f8659c95fa3dd63743063fd41.jpgwill have to wire up and see if it works if all else fails it will be a new motor deep joy and happiness regards Stephen 

• 3 weeks later...

Believe it or not I actually got that winch given mate had took it off as not working and just had it gathering dust in corner of  the garage offered to buy it but he just said take it away just needed all solenoid connections cleaning up been on the back of my lightweight for about 30yrs never let me down granted it doesn't get the same amount of hammer as the front one  regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

I bought mine second hand from the Protection and Performance owner at Billing, recently given a full service.  I only used it on a winching course, so it has had an easy life since then.  I’ll need to run it when I come home just to exercise the bearings and clean the commutator!

• 6 months later...

So I've finally found some more enthusiasm to finish the job, having bought a pile of bits from Gigglepin last year and then lost interest and put it away in a box.

It's all apart and having cleaned things up a bit, the two lower gears have clearly been rubbing together at some point. Not sure whether that may be in the past if someone put it together with one the wrong way around? Or do they all end up doing this as there's nothing really to stop them rubbing? Don't think it's terminal, it all worked fine in the past and the drum slides onto the main gear fine.

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

Edited by darthdicky
Update

Having cleaned up the mainshaft a bit with some wire wool, I think it needs a little more cleaning up on the part where the brake fits to avoid it corroding on again. Probably a daft question but what sort of dremel fitting would clean this up nicely without damaging the metal underneath?

In a similar vein, what would be slightly more abrasive and take a tiny bit off the edge of the round gear and/or shim? It's got a few nicks in it where it's been forced in/out before so the round shim/washer doesn't fit on easily. I just want to get it smooth and round again so the shim fits back on. It was a real pain to get off and won't be easy to bash back on again when I put it back in. It's held on by a circlip so it doesn't have to be a perfect fit from what I can tell?

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

And final question for today, should this end plate just lift off, or is there a hidden circlip or something holding it on? It all turns smoothly so I don't want to whack it too hard, but I'd like to get the grey part off to clean it up and possibly paint it. It's not just lifting off so I've soaked it in WD40, tapped with a mallet a few times but doesn't seem to be budging yet...

IMG_2114.jpg

38 minutes ago, darthdicky said:

And final question for today, should this end plate just lift off, or is there a hidden circlip or something holding it on? It all turns smoothly so I don't want to whack it too hard, but I'd like to get the grey part off to clean it up and possibly paint it. It's not just lifting off so I've soaked it in WD40, tapped with a mallet a few times but doesn't seem to be budging yet...

IMG_2114.jpg

It should just slide off as there is only a plastic bush behind it but it looks like you have some sort of air/ hydraulic assist so I would remove that then see if end plate comes off should not need to be hammered my 8274 end plate is located by the clamping bolts, remove them and it just slides off regards Stephen 

12 hours ago, darthdicky said:

IMG_2114.jpg

the blue piece is the adapter to mount the bearing between the drum & the end plate,

if you knock it down it should come out the end plate, in this configuration there is no plastic bush like on a normal 8274

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent quite some time trying to remove it, I've decided that the Delta tek bearing still spins freely and the end plate is not that corroded so I'm just going to leave it be. It's quite quick to get apart and can be refurbished at another point in the future if I really want to smarten it up or the bearing starts to seize up.

Next challenge - any good tips for removing the mainshaft bearing? Whilst mine still moves freely it's quite gritty and slightly rusty and I've bought a replacement, I just can't get it out! Don't want to bash it too hard as I don't want to crack or bend the casing.

Wondering if drilling a hole through the centre and then using a hacksaw to get to the edge might do it?

IMG_2295.JPEG