Speedo cables

Keeper96

Hi all, 

I have a 1989 90” that I’ve put a 300tdi and r380 plus the 1:1.2 transfer box in, the speedo cable snapped yesterday when I pulled the dash board out, I bought a replacement for a defender but it doesn’t fit the transfer box. 
are they actually different fittings or did I have a bad part? 
if I buy a Disco cable will it mate with the defender speedo head? 

thanks 

Jamie 

As far as I am aware the fitment of the cable at the transfer box end has always been the same on a Defender. Later models dispensed with the cable and used an electrical "sender" unit, but in the past I have removed one of the sender units and replaced it with the standard speedo drive gear and cable without any problems. 

Again as far as I know such differences as there were are between left hand and right hand drive vehicles, plus variations in length because of the different engines involved and differing sizes of bell housings. They all employ the same drive mechanism

5 minutes ago, neil110 said:

As far as I am aware the fitment of the cable at the transfer box end has always been the same on a Defender. Later models dispensed with the cable and used an electrical "sender" unit, but in the past I have removed one of the sender units and replaced it with the standard speedo drive gear and cable without any problems. 

Again as far as I know such differences as there were are between left hand and right hand drive vehicles, plus variations in length because of the different engines involved and differing sizes of bell housings. They all employ the same drive mechanism

Do you know if discovery is different? The box is from a 97 300tdi disco.

thanks 

Speedo connection at the transfer box is the same, I went the other way and installed electrical after having a cable.

I install an afterpart cable once and I found it a good 20-30mm shorter than the original made connecting the speedo up a complete PITA, was a britpart cable (emergency fix) - after a threw a heap of oil down it, it actually lasted best part of 8 years in the end though, and I only changed it to upgrade to electrical. - would reccomend putting some oil down it before you start.

On a similar topic, does anyone know if there is a speedo cable that can be used with an LT230 and a Series 3 speedometer?

My transfer box (off a Disco) had the electronic sender fitted to the speedo drive gear so presumably I will need to change that for another mechanical drive gear off a Defender on 7.50 size tyres and 3.54 diffs?

The drive gear is already in the transfer box, just remove the transducer connect the cable & check it against a gps speed reading, if its way out, try the blue 20tooth gear as used in 90/110 transfer box for 750 or 235/85 tyres.

15 minutes ago, western said:

The drive gear is already in the transfer box, just remove the transducer connect the cable & check it against a gps speed reading, if its way out, try the blue 20tooth gear as used in 90/110 transfer box for 750 or 235/85 tyres.

Cheers, yes the existing drive is still there and it’s a brown one. I may just swap it for the Defender one anyway whilst it’s out of the box. Question is though will my series speedo cable connect to the Defender drive gear? I’m sure I have my old cable knocking about somewhere so I’ll try and dig it out unless someone who’s already fitted a Defender box into their Series can clarify?