Lt77 and difflock

Hi right I thought that my difflock switch was not right, so I bought a new switch. The light would flicker on and off ect . This is my first defender had disco 2 10 years ect, difflock was locking sometimes and then not others. I checked the full linkage all perfect ect. I have rebuilt the lt77 it's fine ect. The last thing I looked at was the hi/lo difflock lever. That xxxxing plate was what was stopping it  going into difflock. It fits over the hole it a rectangle  and its a square its limiting the movement off the gear stick. I refitted it when I built the gear box as it was fitted when I took it apart.works fine with it removed. What's that from? Heres more pics , first one with it lined up second with difflock engaged. What's it from ?? Works fine without it ,with it wont fully go into difflock. Any one know

20200605_175559.jpg

20200605_181222.jpg

20200605_181232.jpg

Well it was stopping it going into diff lock. There is no play in any off the linkage.  It just stopped the travel of the lever the pictures above show it lined up and the position it move to when difflock is engaged.  It works fine with it removed. So your saying it meant to be there? Even more confused now. With that fitted wont engage properly. 

It's a manual that was well done to find that so it not meant to be there, that would explain why it works now. I have no idea past history of car god its 30 years. Who knows who fitted that. A lot of people dont use difflock ect  so maybe none ever found it a problem. The ligh came on  ect. Still impressed with finding out only fitted to autos ect , oh and it's a 90 transfer box .god know how that got there

Edited by andy _1
  • Like 1

As previously mentioned there should be a rubber bellows piece on there and that is the clamping plate, but like you've found the cut out isn't big enough. There should be a rubber cover on the gear stick gate springs too fyi.

There is a rubber gator and a steel clamping plate it was just that stupid plate that was blocking the movement of the level and stopping it engaging fully. They will be a reason for it in an auto

18 hours ago, andy _1 said:

No it was the plate that was stopping its travel.

The plate stops the STICK from travelling too far in the cab, the linkage on the side adjusts how far the other end actually moves to put it into difflock by moving the lever on top of the transfer box.

on my parts manual the plate is installed in a manual box .... it should be gasket-gate plate-grommet-plate (on top to hold the grommet in place) ...

it could be it's a plate from a box that doesn't have difflock , the hole seems smaller then normal .

With ref to my reply above, I've lifted the transfer lever gaiter off & under it I found this plate, so it is applicable to all LT230, other photos are of the gaiter & how the hi/lo change attachment sits on my 110.

So the position to stop the lever hitting the plate is totally down to correct adjustment with all the linkage fitted. 

IMG_20200607_151759.jpg

IMG_20200607_151828.jpg

IMG_20200607_151740.jpg

IMG_20200607_151745.jpg

IMG_20200607_152148.jpg