Jump to content
ED1963

Reset springs, driveshaft now too short

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I've had the leaf springs professionally reset on my S11a rebuild project a while back (like years, project stalled due to kids!), but now that everything is reassembled I can't attach the front driveshaft. It seems like its about 15mm too short.

Any suggestions on how to get it sorted? Jacking up the rear to put weight on the front helped a little, but not enough.

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd drive it around in 2WD with no front shaft and see if it settles and the shaft will then attach

Or make up a spacer to fit the shaft and flange and fit with long bolts.  Make sure you've got clearance on the crossmember under the clutch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum

If it is not built up yet - engine & B/H fitted etc then often the prop appears too short , however if it is fully built then the camber on the springs may be too much . The original specs are in the Factory workshop manual . Some pictures are always good , where are you based ? ( approx.) as someone in the forum may be nearby for a look at it .

cheers

Steve b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm struggling to remember if it is on my LR or the Morris 1000, but I think the pin in the leaves is offset, meaning if you fit the spring the wrong way round, you would get this problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, secondjeremy said:

I'd drive it around in 2WD with no front shaft and see if it settles and the shaft will then attach

Or make up a spacer to fit the shaft and flange and fit with long bolts.  Make sure you've got clearance on the crossmember under the clutch.

 

Thanks, that was one of my ideas too (driving it round a bit with no front shaft). Probably a wee way away from getting it fired up and moving, but worth keeping in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I'm struggling to remember if it is on my LR or the Morris 1000, but I think the pin in the leaves is offset, meaning if you fit the spring the wrong way round, you would get this problem.

You have a Morris 1000?
 

Respect 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, steve b said:

Welcome to the forum

If it is not built up yet - engine & B/H fitted etc then often the prop appears too short , however if it is fully built then the camber on the springs may be too much . The original specs are in the Factory workshop manual . Some pictures are always good , where are you based ? ( approx.) as someone in the forum may be nearby for a look at it .

cheers

Steve b

Thanks for the welcome. I suspect I may be here for a while 🤣

Engine and gearbox/bellhousing etc is now in. I've assumed the people that did the springs did it to factory spec, but will check reference books shortly and see -hopefully obvious where/how to measure.

Based in Bay of Plenty, New Zealand if anyone is around :D

Pics for interest.

20200607_100056.thumb.jpg.5932129b51e38f8bd64d78f247122b9e.jpgPics attached for interest

 

 

 

 

20200607_103943.jpg

20200607_103920.jpg

20200607_103957.jpg

Edited by ED1963
better pictures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I'm struggling to remember if it is on my LR or the Morris 1000, but I think the pin in the leaves is offset, meaning if you fit the spring the wrong way round, you would get this problem.

Thanks. Do you mean left/right side wrong way round, or front/rear wrong way round?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda have 2, one 54 splitty traveller, and a 71 traveller that is slowly becoming a stepside pickup.

Then I have my 91 Audi coupe quattro 20v (my daily), and my RRC which is waiting for love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The centre bolt is indeed central both ways on all LR leafs . In your pic's the springs do look pretty high , but the truck is not built up yet - some oil in the leaves would help to "bed" it all in during the build up .

I travelled NZ in 1999 15K km north and south , the most friendly people and best roads I've trundled over , so not jealous or anything ...:)

Nice looking build , feel free to carry on with updates and pic's

cheers

Steve b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, steve b said:

...if it is fully built then the camber on the springs may be too much . The original specs are in the Factory workshop manual .

Hi again, is there any way of measuring camber when springs are fitted, or do  they need to be back out of vehicle? I suspect the latter...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, steve b said:

In your pic's the springs do look pretty high , but the truck is not built up yet - some oil in the leaves would help to "bed" it all in during the build up .

I travelled NZ in 1999 15K km north and south , the most friendly people and best roads I've trundled over , so not jealous or anything ...:)

Nice looking build , feel free to carry on with updates and pic's

Thanks Steve, will lube it and bounce it around etc and see what happens as the weight gets added on.

Yeah to be honest NZ isn't a bad spot to be, especially in current pandemic environment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not possible to get a true measurement fitted , of course it is the spring rate as well as camber that determines the at rest ride height when built up to a complete vehicle .

When I had issues with some new springs I ended up making a basic test rig to load up the spring off vehicle with a known mass of material ( 2m x 1m x 10mm sheets of steel) that I had available to prove to the supplier , Bearmach that the spring rates were way too hard . When fitted to the built up truck the clearance between front axle and bumpstop was 5" + .

Even with all this evidence Bearmach still took six months to refund my money and just to add to the carp customer service I never had any tech. feedback or any sort or an offer to cover my time to fit and remove and then test this rubbish .

The replacement set from Jones Springs are spot on perfect and the ride is excellent .

cheers

Steve b

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose the shock absorbers don't fit either? The springs are going to take a set, so it needs a bit of weight and some decent articulation to get the to sit right. If they are too arched, maybe longer shocks and a spacer. From what I gather, reseting springs tends to be not lasting the laife of the vehicle, and it will eventually, years later end up as it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2020 at 2:43 AM, Daan said:

I suppose the shock absorbers don't fit either? The springs are going to take a set, so it needs a bit of weight and some decent articulation to get the to sit right. If they are too arched, maybe longer shocks and a spacer.

Hi Daan, correct the shocks dont fit either (without bouncing on the chassis!).

Seems like my solution is patience, weight, drive, and retry!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy