Amazingly off topic - iron ore

Gazzar

In the garden I keep finding stones that look molten. They also feel dense, heavier in the hand than they should be.

Are they iron ore? They're slightly attractive to a magnet. The Forest was known for coal and iron for millennia.

1591521256264509626291577562974.jpg

More likely slag but heavy, metalic, and signs of melting also ticks boxes for meteorite. Far more likely to be slag if spread over a large area and the geologist didn't say meteor straight away as I believe they have decent value! Had a look at the old maps websites to see if there was a foundry nearby?

Foundry slag is probably the best explanation. The house is between Lower Forge and Middle Forge, is a stone's throw away from the old tin works, and beside an old cement works.

Interesting! Never seen that sort of stuff before.

58 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

The girlfriend (geology PHD) is only willing to tell me it doesn't look like a natural formation. If I make her "work" on a Sunday I'll only get an invoice in the post so that's about as far as that road takes us...

Just forward the invoice to Gazzer it's his fault 

• Haha 1

It's slag - I confirmed with one of my Geo-tech Engineers; but there are lost of different forms of slag. This is more likely the second or third scraping off the molten iron. The first scraping looks like badly cast concrete

Not to be confused with clinker - the burnt residue form a blast furnace - used as road infill and mildly toxic

Or PFA (Pulverised Fly Ash) - residue from a coal fired power station - used for motorway embankments and bit mounds, up to the late 80's; (Beloved of Badgers)

Edited by Nonimouse

When I was still working in Land Rec, the most interesting slag we found on site, was in Poole (Tatnum Park for those that know Poole). It was the site of a glass foundry - making glass ingots for the glass industry in the Victorian times.

Glass slag is amazing stuff - vicious, mind. From chunks resembling Chert and Obsidian; some as big as a wheelbarrow, through to lumps of what looked like ice with oil in...

As we were building playing fields for a primary school, it made for an interesting job