Stalling when dropping to idle 200tdi

Hi.

My 90 (with 200tdi disco conversion) has developed a stalling issue having run well for years. It still starts on first turn, runs well, boosts well and even idles nicely - generally seems happy in all respects. Drives well but when allowed to drop from driving rpm to an idle it stalls.

It does very few miles each year at the moment (last year managed a grand total of 35miles). Filters haven't been changed for a few years and no doubt fuel is years old too but due to low mileage it hasn't been a priority. Full filter set now on their way.

I've adjusted the idle screw until is is way faster than it ought to be but it is still wanting to drop to a stall.

I'm guessing air or fuel restrictions somewhere but can anyone give me a likely suspect list to go through to work out what next if the filters don't sort it? 

Drain and fill the tank with fresh diesel maybe ? If your annual mileage has been that low then it could be degraded or have diesel bug ( not sure of the correct name ) worth visually checking it when you drain .

The lift pump function should show when you replace the filter if you bleed manually using the lever on the lift pump  , there should be a significant amount on each stroke .

cheers

Steve b 

Thanks for that Steve. I didn’t know fuel could degrade that quickly.

from the RAC website ‘As for diesel, it can remain usable for between six and 12 months before becoming ‘gummy’ which, if used, can clog up filters and cause you issues with your engine.’

Anyone know what can done with half a tank of diesel? I presume the local tip doesn’t want it?! And if I do drain it on the driveway, how many litres of jerrycan fuel is needed to get running again - I’m guessing a good 20litres...?

Filters first i guess.... lift pump, timing, hoses all to look at.

Having said that I think I would just change filters first and visually check it looks ok

I have started machinery that has been untouched for up to ten years without changing the diesel and had no issues

@yalan I have just restored a 200tdi that was completely still for 3 years. It had half a tank in and once it was running, I used it all up fine with no issues. I did change the fuel filter beforehand. I would also suggest to go and give it a good, aggressive drive and hold the gears a bit longer to get everything hot and give the fuel system a good clean through.

Next time it does it, remove fuel filler cap and see if it still does it, vented caps can get blocked, causing vacuum.  Also check for broken wire on stop solonoid, lower speed of tickover might shake engine a bit more, causing connection to fail. Also if you have a Delphi lift pump, unscrew top and clean out the gauze filter.

• Like 1

Lovely - thanks for the advice. I’ll look into those and see how it goes before ditching the fuel. Didnkt know the delphi pump had another level of filtering so I’ll have a look there too.

In’t It just the 300tdi pump that can unscrew to access the gauze?

Nonetheless, After changing the filter and draining out about 20 litres of amber coloured diesel & refilling with fresh it seems to have done the trick!

Hopefully can keep a more social idle RPM next.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1