S2 Hinge Door Mirrors for the classic look

Landrover17H

I've always had coiler mirrors, and yes I know, in truth they're the only way to go. Good visibility and a design that stays put. There's even a heated variant. However I've always wanted to go back to my 'proper' S2 hinge-mount mirror stalks - as below - with classic mirrors to go with. And yes I know there's several ways to mount coiler mirrors to S2 hinges, but I don't really want that 'look'.

Ashtree brand aren't great. Is there better?

My Mirrors.png

S2 Hinge & Mirror.png

Edited by Landrover17H

Wouldn't mirrors on the wing tops be more period correct? And probably only on the driver side too. ISTR mirrors were once an optional extra.
Of course having mirrors is far preferable  for day to day driving :)

Horses for courses, I need door mirrors, but the defender mirrors wouldn't look anywhere right on the lightweight hinges.

And I don't think I could get used to wing mirrors, after decades of towing in vehicles with door/cab mirrors.

Sorry, google-poodled this. What's an ISTR mirror?

Period correct can be either wing OR door, however I can't quite see myself going so far as to run just wing-mounts. Nope, I'm with Gazzer, in 1968 maybe, and tootling along in mid-Wales now, fine. This thing is a 'daily' driven in the South-East. However, both Wing AND door mounts certainly... a mate's Moggy Minor has this set-up, and it works very well. Which still leaves my question.

Yes Gazzer, I can't see wiring for 'heated' being too challenging, it's a tube. Reckon, finding heated-glass will be where it gets awkward. You can hope, but you're sent my question, only you'll  be wanting heat as well?! Don't hold your breath.

What we want is the same sort of real-estate as gayer mirrors, with a decent clamp, and with glass readily available when we inevitably break them, anyone?

Edited by Landrover17H

Heating is easy. Buy the pads, they're self adhesive, grommet the wiring to the tube, drill from tube to bracket, and through the door frame to the cab.

Similar to this. Hot glue opportunity.

IMG_20200413_111124.jpg

IMG_20200413_152450.jpg

IMG_20200413_142800.jpg

9 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

Well that told me... 'spose if I'd thought about it, such product must exist. Not seen it, but I've heard of heated bathroom-mirrors, must be pretty much the same 'kit'.

Looks easy too.

Mud stuff. Either just the pads, or a kit.

4 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

ISTR is 'I seem to remember'.... so not always related to mirrors :P 

Thanks Ross. I forget not everyone is familiar with these abbreviations ;)

• Like 1

I think so, but what impact would that have on rigidity, I wonder...

And, more importantly, how can I get a pair of these mirror arms?

All I've got are the defender type, I think.

Screenshot_2020-06-10-12-22-21-018_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.103e3f4d47e097ed5e0248e1c5e77ca6.jpg

On 6/8/2020 at 9:44 PM, Landrover17H said:

I've always had coiler mirrors, and yes I know, in truth they're the only way to go. Good visibility and a design that stays put. There's even a heated variant. However I've always wanted to go back to my 'proper' S2 hinge-mount mirror stalks - as below - with classic mirrors to go with. And yes I know there's several ways to mount coiler mirrors to S2 hinges, but I don't really want that 'look'.

Ashtree brand aren't great. Is there better?

My Mirrors.png

S2 Hinge & Mirror.png

Do you have a photo of the back of the mount bracket? I wonder if this is the same part:

Screenshot_2020-06-10-12-22-21-018_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.103e3f4d47e097ed5e0248e1c5e77ca6.jpg

It's been done to death on other forums however for those that don't know, and I didn't, MRC4583 is the later stalk. See difference...

MRC4583 fits S3 hinges. Wider spacing on MRC4583. The bracket [finger points thus...)  is for S2 hinges, which unless you find the uber-rare (read spendy) Milly hinges you'll want. S2 Mirror bracket MRC56 is unobtainium new. I think the LWT is different again. If you insist on MRC4583, and you might because you can't get parts, you'll need to make your own homebrew. [See folded homebrew bracket].

genocache01.png

genocache02.png

S2 Mirrors MRC56.png

MRC56.png

Edited by Landrover17H

Yup, Pete - homebrew it maybe, and in all practicality we don't get a choice, that looks the proper-job. A mod done well enough to pass as ex-factory.

The clarify the issue: The S2 brackets are hard o find, and the S2 arms out of production. This image appears to claim these fit S3, they don't. You'll need to drop Pete a drink to get him to make some more of his homebrew and find MRC4583 [S3] arms. MRC4583  has same spacing as the Defender arm/mirror assembly.

MirrorKit MRC56.jpg

Edited by Landrover17H