Assembling a new engine for my MPI

• 2 months later...

Little update: starting time is nearing...

First I had to make my own plugleads; quite interesting to do!

IMG_0946.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

Then I could finally build the air-intake since I received the correct size hoses. I use a 90 degree bend front the throttle body to the Megasquirt-V8 air-temp/idle-air-connection pipe. From there I use a 45 degree bend to the standard TD5 MAP sensor house (MAP is not used anymore). The TD5 airbox still fits and is connected to the standard TD5 raised air intake.

You also see the Fuel Pressure regulator on top of this picture (The shiny thing). This will reduce the TD5 fuel pump pressure to the desired pressure for the THOR fuel-rail. Excess pressure is dumped into the standard TD5 return line.

IMG_0953 (1).jpeg

Finally I was able to bolt the flex-plate to the torque convertor. Quite a PITA but with a good magnetic lamp and my iPhone camera to "look around the corner" I was able to screw in the 4 bolts.

IMG_0951.jpeg

IMG_0952.jpeg

Also the Serpentine belt is now mounted....

IMG_0949.jpeg

Another challenge was that my engine had a secondary air injection system (which seems to inject extra air into the exhaust)

Since I wasn't using that system anymore and since the thread was really weird, I had some plugs made to block the holes for that 2nd air system. Just leaving them open wouldn't be an option.... 🙂 

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-04 at 18.29.16.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-04 at 15.44.05.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-05 at 16.08.41.jpeg

Still to do before starting: create/connect cooling system, put oil in the engine, check all sensors and actuators, mount the exhaust and start the thing!

Edited by doezel