Owatrol Oil

Bigj66

Does anyone have any experience or feedback of using Owatrol oil to preserve bodywork patina whilst providing anti corrosion protection to exposed ferrous metal surfaces such as the bulkhead?

Im really in two minds whether to paint or preserve 🤷‍♂️

Is not painting a form of preserve?

Unless something is totally submerged for the duration in a solution you will at various stages of it's life have to reapply the preservative i would have thought?

So long as the preparation is diligent and the necessary care and steps are taken for painting of the item plus the after care of any scratches or cracks again my thinking would be paint to be as effective as a preservative and more appealing to the eye???

Both methods need careful attention after application to ensure that they are at their most effectiveness at all times.

Again just my thought on the subject.

I have a bulkhead that has bad paint work, it's down to the undercoat in places. I just spray it with whatever spray oil I've to hand every few months. WD40, Lidl anti rust spray,  whatever.

This preserves it, and no more.

To do a full preservation of patina requires wax? Satin 2k clear? Another paint coat on top, garaging, and all of that, I presume.

Owatrol dries off to form a transparent and reasonably hard surface.  Work best on rusty surfaces and is a good primer coat.  Used on a couple of places on my Disco bumpers, and has stopped any new rust for over a year

Seems to work well enough, but not really tried it in tough conditions.  Not sure how well it will bind to existing paint.

Problem I have is that I’d like to try and keep the 45 year old patina if possible whilst protecting things like the steel bulkhead that are showing early signs of light surface rust. If I repaint the whole vehicle then it will take a good few years to lose it’s fresh look.

The alloy panels aren’t too bad to look after but the bulkhead and front panel will take a bit more thought. I thought that the Owatrol would do the job so I might give it a try as the car will be garaged when not in use. I can paint the internal surfaces but just keep the external ones as they are and reapply as and when.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

If I repaint the whole vehicle then it will take a good few years to lose it’s fresh look.

i think that depends on your painter ,  on my car the hardtop side's are painted a year ago , the remaining paintwork is some 30 years old ..... i didn't go for high gloss , but asked him to use a paint between high-gloss and matt (don't know the english name for this (is it semi-gloss ?)) .  if you stand next to the car , it's very ahrd to see the difference ....

20190904_134702_1567597702270_resized.thumb.jpg.661a1fdf7dcc25b5587a34c83f23d955.jpg

• Thanks 1

Satin, or egg shell.

Takes an experienced painter, or a really bad one, to achieve that. 

A regular coating of an anti rust spray will do the job. WD 40 at a pinch.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

Problem I have is that I’d like to try and keep the 45 year old patina if possible whilst protecting things like the steel bulkhead that are showing early signs of light surface rust. If I repaint the whole vehicle then it will take a good few years to lose it’s fresh look.

The alloy panels aren’t too bad to look after but the bulkhead and front panel will take a bit more thought. I thought that the Owatrol would do the job so I might give it a try as the car will be garaged when not in use. I can paint the internal surfaces but just keep the external ones as they are and reapply as and when.

If you speak to the Rat Look guys (I'm a Dub owner as well, so I know a few), it's always down to wax or clear-coat; the former being the best.  Most rate Morison's Anchor Wax  Clear

• Thanks 1