Non LR - insurance for digger, mower, welder, tools, etc

Defender

What do you do about insurance for large and valuable items and also tools, welders, etc items as a private user and not a company? 

I guess stuff like this isn't covered by the house insurance (certainly not a digger) and the value is scary when you roughly add it up. 

I also wouldn't like to replace everything in one go that's taken years and years to build up. 

So questions :

1. As a private individual how do you insure stuff like this? 

2. Also I assume photographing everything is a good idea? Might sound a daft question but I guess I'm wondering how you prove what you have / had especially as some I've had for years so don't have receipts. 

Not sure about UK.

Here (France) we spoke to the house assurance co. and they accept pictures etc. of what we have and use on our property.

Insured for theft / fire / etc.

Talk to your insurance company I'd say...

• Like 1

I spoke to our household insurer about this. They don't even know what a Mini Excavator is ……………..

Used NFU in the end, but they all want security measures, or you to keep it in your bedroom.

• Thanks 1

We asked Cornish Mutual and they arranged cover for us. We have a farm policy (bit of an exageration for 12.5 acres), but we needed various things like public liability as part of the use of the land and asked them to cover the large barns for content theft etc as I have the same worry as the OP. NFU would probably do it too as said above, but they were more than twice the price of Cornish Mutual!

• Thanks 1

You were luck Pat! I phoned up NFU and got someone on the phone who listened to the fact i had got a cheaper quote and just said she would cancel my renewal. Been with them for about 15 years - this was my local office too. My other quote was so good i couldnt be bothered to waste more time on the phone!

On 6/14/2020 at 12:39 PM, pat_pending said:

NFU have just increased the premiums on all my policies for no apparent reason, I was a loyal customer for 25 years.

I've told them to do one and saved nearly £1000.

On 6/14/2020 at 12:43 PM, reb78 said:

You were luck Pat! I phoned up NFU and got someone on the phone who listened to the fact i had got a cheaper quote and just said she would cancel my renewal. Been with them for about 15 years - this was my local office too. My other quote was so good i couldnt be bothered to waste more time on the phone!

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Can I ask who the other companies you tried were please? NFU really don't seem keen to even give me a quote 😭

It was Cornish Mutual for me but as the name suggests you need to be in the southwest (I think they cover Devon and Cornwall only maybe a few more counties but only in the South west). 

With NFU, make sure you are speaking to your local office and not the central call centre. Staff in the local offices are much more helpful and flexible. My last experience with them was my local office but had I been bothered enough to talk to the girls supervisor I might have got a better response.  

The AA have now got the Freelander and my basic property cover, Defender is going to Flux.

I'm still looking at tool/equipment insurance.

It certainly wont be NFU.

Always dealt with the local office at Stagsden, 15 min's from work.

I have no idea why the premiums have suddenly jumped.