300tdi 90 exhaust what have I done wrong!

What have I done wrong! 

Ordered a front pipe ESR2297.

300TDI 90 on R reg. 

The flange from the front pipe to the large silencer bolts don't line up!!!!! The flanges also seem to be a slightly different size although if the bolt holes lined up I'm sure they'd go together. 

It also seems a few inches short and although I can pull them to meet it takes more effort than I'd like. 

I guess I ordered the wrong pipe but which one do I need? 

Not the best pictures I'm afraid. 

IMG20200612183149.jpg

IMG20200612183213.jpg

I think you will find you have to slacken the mid section from the back box and when all sections are loose you should have enough play to get the bolts through? Then retighten each section bit by bit.

They can be a pita at times oh and you still might have to push, pull and grunt a bit even then!?!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 9:30 PM, Maverik said:

Which bit is Britpart?

Could this seriously be the issue? I'm not 100% sure on the make but the two flanges are definitely different sizes! 

I assumed I'd ordered something wrong. But couldn't find another part code. 

When I get a minute I'll take it off and measure it properly but the bolts will not line up. 

On 6/13/2020 at 11:33 PM, Mutley said:

I think you will find you have to slacken the mid section from the back box and when all sections are loose you should have enough play to get the bolts through? Then retighten each section bit by bit.

They can be a pita at times oh and you still might have to push, pull and grunt a bit even then!?!

I could try this thanks but I think the biggest issue at the moment is the bolts on the flanges don't line up. 

Someone mentioned the back box could be bigger flanges on a Td5? Is this true maybe the back box is the problem and not the front pipe. 

Does anyone have a diagram of both exhausts for a 300tdi and a td5 to see if they are different please? 

Get a drill and make the holes in the flange bigger until they fit. There's plenty of meat on it for that.

My experience of exhausts is only tales of woe, I've never had one fit "out the box". even buying all the sections from the same manufacturer have led to awful fit ups. - hence why I'm just getting one made for it as we speak, and in theory it should be the last exhaust I'll ever have to get!

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

Get a drill and make the holes in the flange bigger until they fit. There's plenty of meat on it for that.

My experience of exhausts is only tales of woe, I've never had one fit "out the box". even buying all the sections from the same manufacturer have led to awful fit ups. - hence why I'm just getting one made for it as we speak, and in theory it should be the last exhaust I'll ever have to get!

That's really strange as I have never had a problem with aftermarket exhausts on my 300TDi 90 other than when I bought a Double-S system which was returned due to poor manufacture and diameter of the pipe (considerably smaller than the OE system).

Over the past 20-years I have had a genuine tail-pipe and three Britpart ones with all fitting fine and lasting on average 5-years each. The first couple of Britpart ones were stamped Bosal but later one had no markings on but still no problems. A couple of years ago I had to order a centre-pipe and knowing that I would be replacing the whole system with something fancy sometime in the future decided to go for a SS Britpart item. Unfortunately it was a Double-S pipe that turned up and I saw that they hadn't improved, while it fitted ok it was considerably smaller CSA than the standard part however it went on as it would only be needed for a couple of years.

As it stands now I am just completing my chassis swop and prior to the rebuild treated myself to a Demand Engineering SS system with "Sports silencer" (don't know why they call "Sports" as the only other alternative was a straight through system!). Seems to fit ok but haven't fired her up yet, strange thing was that it only has two hangers.

DEMAND ENGINEERING 90 SYSTEM.jpg

2 hours ago, Litch said:

That's really strange as I have never had a problem with aftermarket exhausts on my 300TDi 90 other than when I bought a Double-S system which was returned due to poor manufacture and diameter of the pipe (considerably smaller than the OE 

I've got a double SS exhaust on now that is the one being replaced, really poorly made narrow bore like you said over oe and if you saw it now you wouldn't think it was actually even Stainless steel. Pish. If Iived closer at the time it would have gone back.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on my '97 300tdi 90, I believe that the front pipe is expecting to see ESR4526 as the next part of the exhaust system. It has the flared flange that matches your part. If it's of added help, my rear exhaust is  ESR4527.

These both seem to be listed as 97-98, so it's possible that yours is early 97?

I'm still not 100% sure which part is wrong, whether it's got the wrong silencer or the wrong front pipe. 

I pictured the only flange I found that fitted the silencer (no idea what it's off!) and you can see it's a mile out from fitting the front pipe I bought. 

The only other thing I thought is should it have a cat? Would that make the front pipe longer? 

I don't really want a cat and I don't believe it needs one as a requirement but I guess a 1998 may have had one as standard? 

IMG20200620112544.jpg

On 7/5/2020 at 7:59 AM, Disco1tdi said:

Based on my '97 300tdi 90, I believe that the front pipe is expecting to see ESR4526 as the next part of the exhaust system. It has the flared flange that matches your part. If it's of added help, my rear exhaust is  ESR4527.

These both seem to be listed as 97-98, so it's possible that yours is early 97?

Thanks for the part numbers, the ESR4526 looks like the middle box I have from the pictures. 

Pretty sure there is another silencer after this though (will check). 

So assuming those parts are correct what should the front pipe from turbo to middle silencer be? I ordered ESR2297.