Renting a trailer one-way across Europe

elbekko

In a few months we're moving my girlfriend's stuff from Sweden to Belgium. Ideally would do it with an enclosed double-axle trailer behind the P38.

Considering either renting or buying one. But when renting they usually expect you to bring it back, which sucks when it's 1700km.

Does anyone know of any services where you can rent one-way? I know places like Europcar do it for cars, but can't find trailers that aren't HGV ones.

You could consider buying a Swedish one ?

I did that a few times on collecting stuff a long way away from here but usu. the trailer is not what it was cracked up to be.

How big a trailer do you need ?

4 minutes ago, Arjan said:

You could consider buying a Swedish one ?

Yeah, definitely on the list of options. Not sure how that would work registration wise.

Don't need anything super big, around 3m load length would be perfect I think. Just want it to be stable and nice to tow long distance.

OK - keep in touch.

I may have soon a 2 axle 3 M3 trailer here

Mesh sides & covered.

French plated and 3rd party insured

Depending on when you'd need it I can drop it off while en route to Holland and collect it again the next trip or so.

i do have a 250 x 145 flatbed 1 axle here you can use. Things been everywhere and tows really, really well..

Have a look for small transport companies doing the Sweden/France route  to take it for you - I use a Romanian guy occasionally who just does a back and forth run from UK to Italy via France/Germany with a flatbed & trailer to deliver the odd car.   Very economical way to do it, works out cheaper for me than even paying the fuel and driving one there.

5 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Have a look for small transport companies doing the Sweden/France route  to take it for you - I use a Romanian guy occasionally who just does a back and forth run from UK to Italy via France/Germany with a flatbed & trailer to deliver the odd car.   Very economical way to do it, works out cheaper for me than even paying the fuel and driving one there.

Fine for a car, not so ideal for furniture and personal belongings I think.

54 minutes ago, SteveG said:

What about just hiring a lwb van? They are so easy to drive long distances in now. Obviously you’ll get hit with mileage, but maybe cheapest and easiest option.

Thought about it, but unless it can be rented one-way not really an option (and from what I've seen from car rental for that distance, a van will be extremely expensive).

35 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Buy and sell on? 

Yeah, definitely the better option. Just need to find what I want.

Did some research into registration, looks like I should be able to register it on transit plates for a month if I buy in Sweden, that would be perfect.

Now to just find something...

In the UK we have Shiply. It's a website for transporting just about anything. You post up what, where and when then people give you quotes to move it. You may find someone with a van/empty trailer going your direction.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

What about getting a 20ft shipping container delivered, fill it up and then get it shipped? May well find someone going in the right sort of direction to take it and it's an "easy" load, plus you can sell the container or use it for storage at the other end.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, elbekko said:

Fine for a car, not so ideal for furniture and personal belongings I think.

I've moved loved ones' possessions this way.  Seriously, google it, there are plenty of people moving their stuff around Europe, and lots of small one man with a van style companies driving up and down every day.  When I took into account the cost of my time, and fuel, ferries etc, it was far cheaper and less hassle.

21 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

What about getting a 20ft shipping container delivered, fill it up and then get it shipped? May well find someone going in the right sort of direction to take it and it's an "easy" load, plus you can sell the container or use it for storage at the other end.

They might from upon that slightly in my girlfriend's apartment complex :hysterical: But good suggestion.

Looks like I can find the sort of trailer I want for around €2k, and should be able to resell it for at least that, so think that will be the best and most flexible option.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :)

On 6/15/2020 at 12:32 PM, elbekko said:

Yeah, but I only have a B and B+E license, so a truck isn't an option sadly 😛

A big van is, but that introduces an extra car to the mix, so not the best option.

That would be a great excuse for me to fly to Sweden and drive back! 🙂

Seriously, get a Scania, something with a V 8. 😁

45 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

No just mad :rolleyes:

That too. 😛

But Mike and Ben are right, this one is definitely a keeper! 👍

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

No just mad :rolleyes:

Suits me then :D

1 hour ago, Escape said:

That would be a great excuse for me to fly to Sweden and drive back! 🙂

Seriously, get a Scania, something with a V 8. 😁