P38 electrical chaos (nowt new there)

Simon_CSK

Took my P38 to have it valeted today and when I collected it they had problems!!

I suspect water has got into the BECM and is causing problems the symptoms are alarm going off althought the car will start, horn blaring, RHS lights constantly on. wipers on and the nearside rear window inoperable and in the down position.

I have put a fan heater in the car facing the BECM and will leave it overnight. Is there anything else I can do or is my solution good or bad. Help appreciated.

I'd not heat it up.

That'd speed up any rusting and corrosion. If possible take the BECM out and dump it in silica beads. Or the cheap man's alternative is a bucket of rice... Not sure how that might do down with the wife but...

Once you've got as much water out as you can then you could heat it up gently to finish off.

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Or the cheap man's alternative is a bucket of rice... Not sure how that might do down with the wife but...

The wife is in lockdown in Moscow so I don't think she will find out 😂

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

I have some experience with drying off a BeCM :ph34r:

Take it out, open it up (ton of screws but nothing more), and then a small paintbrush and copious amounts of contact cleaner.

Have taken the heat off. The only think now not working is the ignition not starting the car which it did before. Will leave it overnight and strip out the BECM in the morning.

I hope you disconnected the battery. By doing that you prevent any water inside the BECM to cause shorts and cause more damage. Drying and cleaning should then be enough to get it working again.

Good luck!

Filip

BECM now out and covered in rice. Have found the the driver's footwell is absolutely sodden and suspect this the be the result of the heater matrix failure rather than the Valet. Now need the dispose of this. Is this a case of wet and dry vaccum and thn leaving to the open air?

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Pretty sure the P38 was almost fully developed before BMW had anything to do with it.

Very definately, the 38A was developed by Land Rover in the early 1990's, being released for sale in 1995.
The BMW involvement was because theirs was the only diesel engine with the required sophistication for the target market envisaged by Land Rover. History shows it wasn't perfect, but at the time it was the best available.
The engine ECU lives in a high position in the engine bay.

All the other ECUs were placed by Land Rover. It was an LR decision to have a single central BECM to which 'all' other ECUs reported to. Time has shown that was a blind alley and it became better to have a common means of intercommunication (such as CANBUS) rather than a central ECU.

Regards.

21 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

All the other ECUs were placed by Land Rover. It was an LR decision to have a single central BECM to which 'all' other ECUs reported to. Time has shown that was a blind alley and it became better to have a common means of intercommunication (such as CANBUS) rather than a central ECU.

Regards.

Well my central ECU is now back in place and the car will not start. I suspect that the BECM and the ECU are not talking to each other in the same language. So need to get it on a computer.