BfG Trac Edge have been out of production for many years, over 10 I think.  Pity as they were great tyres.  The AT's are good on road and rough tracks, but any sticky clay/mud and the closed tread just turns into a smooth, greased surface!

Insa Turbo make a close copy of the Trac Edge, the Traction Track.  I have a set.  Great grip on the road and in snow/mud.  BUT they are remoulds and wear quickly plus my set is horrendously noisy, can't even hear a TDi when using them.  Not sure if they are cheap enough to justify the pain points.

I do a fair amount of road miles and the landy is my company car for a while. So mud tyres are out and in all honesty I dont really need them. We live on the edge of Dartmoor and other than tracks, winter weather and towing that is all the off roading it does. If I do need the extra traction, I have axle diff locks that get me out of most situations although that may be a source of another post as my front one appears to have some serious slack (and knocking when taking up drive) in it but not on the crown wheel and pinion.

While the Duratracs were good and ticked all my boxes, I just cannot get any so I have plumped for the BFG AT K02's but I am still wincing at the price!! They are being fitted later today as the existing Duratracs are down to 3mm and have no grip at all now. I had the older BFG AT on my 90 a considerable time ago and they were very good - I just heard the newer K02's were not as good. Time will tell!

Toby

59 minutes ago, Alsace_rangie said:

Insa Turbo make a close copy of the Trac Edge, the Traction Track.  I have a set.  Great grip on the road and in snow/mud.  BUT they are remoulds and wear quickly plus my set is horrendously noisy, can't even hear a TDi when using them.  Not sure if they are cheap enough to justify the pain points.

That was them !!  I remember mine wearing down quickly - but whilst they were noisy, they weren’t as bad as yours sound.

5 minutes ago, Landrovernuts said:

...... so I have plumped for the BFG AT K02's but I am still wincing at the price!! They are being fitted later today as the existing Duratracs are down to 3mm and have no grip at all now. I had the older BFG AT on my 90 a considerable time ago and they were very good - I just heard the newer K02's were not as good. Time will tell!

Toby

I don’t think you’ll go wrong with them - they are an excellent road biased tyre, good on everything except mud in my experience, and (to soften the price) they last for a very very long time. I think I got about 50k miles off a set.

• Like 1

Difflock.com

Currently the cheapest online + free delivery for BFG in all sizes and patterns. Just got to find a friendly(cheap) fitter........

Not linked to them but they are the cheapest I've found for BF Goodrich All Terrian KO 265/75R16 and Muds.....

Edited by keeley75
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/

Usually the cheapest in Europe.

English web address, based in Andorra and shipped form Germany. I usually save a third on the cheap UK suppliers. Very good couriers as well. 

The Ko2's are more pricey there than some UK places though. Not sure how you save a 3rd?

32 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

The Ko2's are more pricey there than some UK places though. Not sure how you save a 3rd?

Might be that the prices have gone up...

I last bought from them in November last year - the wonders of Covid-19 may have effected the price

I bought my BFG ATs from Tyreleader five years ago and they were significantly cheaper than anywhere else at the time. The fitter at the local garage had a battle to get them to seal on the rims. He said that they appeared to have been stacked incorrectly or for too long and as a consequence they were squashed. I think he used the brake fluid expansion method on some of them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to update, it looks like the BFG's are going back with a manufacturing defect in one and suspected in the other!! The tyre fitters are struggling to balance them and have moved them around the rim a few times with no improvement. They are balanced at the moment but have two rows of weights and four high on each side of the rim. When the tyres are on the balancing machine, they are not even round (by quite a long way) so they have given up and getting two new ones for me. The rims have been checked and are apparently fine, so suppose that is decent enough that they are being changed with no argument but you don't expect this issue from BFG! I like them other than the wheel wobble!

Toby