Rover 3.9l into Triumph Stag

I am attempting to install a rover 3.9l v8 (engine number 38D04281A) into my 1971 Stag. I have had the block completely rebuilt. My problem is that the engine does not have any of the brackets for mounting the a/c compressor, power steering pump or alternator. I have been researching this for sometime. I find the documentation of these brackets very confusing. I would appreciate if someone could send some pictures that would help me to visualize the completed engine. Any other info as to parts source would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20200618_081907.jpg

There's so many variations between years/models - I bought a "scrap" engine for £50 and removed all the brackets etc. from that simply to have a complete matching set.

Your timing cover will likely dictate what you need - do yo know what vehicle/year yours is from?

I believe the engine is out of a discovery series one. I have purchased a few brackets (ac/alt) however figuring how to bolt them to the engine is a challenge. That is why I wanted some pictures of some engines.

I am considering buying a parts engine however in Washington state I have been unable to locate one.

If you can please send me some pics.

Thanks, Terry T

Hi Terry

Assume you mean Washington in the U.S. ?

Do you have the water pump and pulley, crank pulley etc.

Problem with this is that the Disco/Range Rover has the Alternator and water pump mounted higher up, so fitted to the Stag might foul the bonnet ?

My friend did one of these, gotta be getting on for thirty years ago, and he used a Rover P6 engine, which has a lower mounted and shorter water pump and alternator.

They didnt have aircon though, although I suspect the few U.S. spec models did. 

Rover SD1 v8 had low mounted similar but longer water pump, and an even lower mounted alternator and power steering pump.

I have probably got all this stuff somewhere, except maybe aircon mount.

All hard to find nowand fetches good money, so if you can get away with the height of the Disco items, they will be easier to source.

Got no pics though, but there should be loads on the internet. 

21 hours ago, smallfry said:

Problem with this is that the Disco/Range Rover has the Alternator and water pump mounted higher up, so fitted to the Stag might foul the bonnet ?

I had this problem when I fitted a latter serp engine to my TR7. Although I'd guess the bonnet (hood ;) ) line has more space in a Stag than a TR7.

John Eales supplied a new bracket and tensioner, I believe the same as a Morgan Plus 8 would have had, which moved the alternator to the other side of the engine and much lower.

http://www.johnealesroverv8.co.uk/

8 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I had this problem when I fitted a latter serp engine to my TR7. Although I'd guess the bonnet (hood ;) ) line has more space in a Stag than a TR7.

John Eales supplied a new bracket and tensioner, I believe the same as a Morgan Plus 8 would have had, which moved the alternator to the other side of the engine and much lower.

Have just been looking at the website and prices 😲😲😲

And then RPI ........

So much money for so little gain.

As above, when properly cared for, the Triumph V8 is (IMHO) a better match for the Stag then the Rover V8. Of course you can go bigger with a Rover V8, so that's an easy way to gain some power.

If you're looking for parts, www.V8tuner.co.uk is operational again, with Paul's wife carrying on after his unfortunate death. They list many different parts for the different applications, might be interesting for you to see what will fit best.

Filip

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've just fitted a 3.9 Discovery engine to my 75 Stag with the same timing cover as in your picture. I used the Monarch Stag power steering adapter with a Rover P5B crack pulley/harmonic balancer. I didnt fit A/C to my car as it never had it and doesnt have any of the plumbing. Not that I couldn't fit A/C at a later date. I also fitted a low ratio 2.92;1 LSD behind a Toyota W58 5 speed manual, which gives a pretty tall 1st gear. I used K-Mac suspension front & rear with the front lowered by 1" to deal with the reduced weight of the Rover engine.  

• 11 months later...

Hi, I know this post is a few years old but I am attempting the same install.

i have a 2004 4.6L engine from a disco 2.

i purchased engine mounts from Monarch Stag but not really sure what way around they fit. What engine mounts did you use and can you share some photos please

thanks

Joe

21 hours ago, Noddy1066 said:

Hi, I know this post is a few years old but I am attempting the same install.

i have a 2004 4.6L engine from a disco 2.

i purchased engine mounts from Monarch Stag but not really sure what way around they fit. What engine mounts did you use and can you share some photos please

thanks

Joe

Hello Joe

Apart from info about the engine itself, I dont think this forum will be any/much help to you regarding the Stag conversion.

The original posters doing it have not visited here in a long while, so dont hold your breath for any replies !

Good luck with it though !