Tailgate.

Polly123

When all doors are unlocked the tailgate is still locked and will not open. I have tried dozens of times to open it by pushing thumping you name it but the push button although seeming to be unfree and working will not open it. I can open it manually from inside.also the fuel filler is locked permanently.

Does anyone know if this would effect the immobiliser at all and prevent the car from starting?

Steve.

I guess you are asking about a 38A, post 1995 RR.

I suspect the button has failed electrically, or perhaps the wiring in the tailgate. I don't know how you opened the tailgate manually from the inside (what year is your vehicle?) but I think you are going to have to remove the trim on the tailgate to fault the electrical circuit or button.

The alternative is a wiring fault before the tailgate is reached, and a fault here may also affect the fuel filler flap.
I'd say that normally this wouldn't affect the immobiliser,but I seem to recall the power to the tailgate comes via the drivers door lock switches.

Have you checked the RAVE ETM wiring diagrams for which fuses are used, and whether any connection plugs are common to both circuits?

Regards.

Ha,  i knew it was faulty when I bought it,the car had a cable connected to open the tailgate manually. Its 1994.

The trim is removed from the tailgate.

Not really electrically minded but have a mate who is, where do I find the rave etm diagrams?

Steve.

Edited by Polly123

A 1994 model is now termed a Classic Range Rover, so all my comments regarding the later 38A model do not apply..
I can't advise the best place to find wiring diagrams. There may be paper versions around, although I can confirm there was a RAVE disc produced later that covered 'Archive' models, as they were called. This included the later versions of the Classic RR, as well as the Discovery 1 and the Freelander to model Year 01.
Whether searching generally on eBay, Amazon, or independant LR suppliers, the key word to include in your search term is 'Brooklands' as they do the reprints that include 1994 and '95. I got no results that suggested Haynes books went to '94.
The snag is the price; expect to be asked around £60 for for a new Brooklands reprint.

I am assuming these 'Workshop Manuals' include the wiring diagrams. The term I used, ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual), came in with the RAVE CDs, and the 38A Range Rover.

Perhaps there are people on here who have bought copies in the past.

Regards.

The Range Rover Classic and the P38 were sold concurrently possibly from during 1993 to 1995. I do not believe the P38 is termed Classic. So you need to identify what Model of Range Rover you are discussing, either the original classic shape or the P38. 

7 minutes ago, walace58 said:

The Range Rover Classic and the P38 were sold concurrently possibly from during 1993 to 1995. I do not believe the P38 is termed Classic. So you need to identify what Model of Range Rover you are discussing, either the original classic shape or the P38. 

My thoughts exactly. After my previous post I looked back at earlier posts from Polly123. The 38A was consistently referred to, as was the BECM, so it looks as though his vehicle is a 38A.

As part of my earlier post I did some Google Search research, and this happened to turn up that Workshop manuals on CD for the 38A are now readily and cheaply available.
Here and here are examples, I have not used either supplier.
I used the search terms 'workshop manuals P38 cd', there were many other returns. Note that a list of parts will be another purchase; they don't come on the RAVE CDs.

Regards.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:18 AM, walace58 said:

P38 was in production from '94 for the '95 model year. I've never seen a '94 (L) reg one, but I guess there may be one or two around (though @Polly123 has clarified that their's is actually '95 reg).

The button makes it clear that this is a P38. The classic has physically connected latch releases - an external one for the upper tailgate and a separate internal one for the lower part (which is a stupid arrangement, as anyone who's had a heavy load shift back against the lower tailgate can testify...).