Fault code readers

Simon_CSK

Am thinking of getting "another" fault code reader to assist (you lot) with my fault diagnosis. 

I had an Hwkeye for my P38 but is was stolen before I could use it in anger. It did look complicated and the fault diagnosis from what I could see wasn't that clear. I deally I want something that when you plug it in says "Simon the back left wheel is falling off you need to tighten the wheel nuts" but realise they don't come that idiot proof for the likes of myself. 

I also realise that Range Rovers are getting ever more complex with ever more electronics and having just bought my first, second and third L322's in less than 4 months (we have to do something while in lockdown) all that need a code reader. I think now is the time to go shopping as I have a lot of faults to fix!! 

I have noticed that the Lynx EVO allows the full Range Rover range to be accessed without purchasing additional codes so this will allow me to access the CSK my P38 and my L322, (oh and maybe soon I will be able to buy an L405 :rofl:). I also know how you lot feel about Britpart.

Any preferences or thoughts on the matter would be a great assistance

i'm looking into the hawkeye vs lynx also. I made enquiries about the "family" capability of the lynx, it covers (as far as i can tell from asking) range rover from classic to L322 but not sport or evoque. The additional cable set at £150 is required for some P38 funcionality. Where as the hawkeye sems to have a cable for every function?

The lynx only covers updates for 12 months unless you buy the support yearly. But not a massive issue as long as the app keeps working without being updated?

At the moment the hawkeye is around £220 and the lynx around £320. Is the hawkeye vin locked or to one type of vehicle?

7 hours ago, pete3000 said:

i'm looking into the hawkeye vs lynx also. I made enquiries about the "family" capability of the lynx, it covers (as far as i can tell from asking) range rover from classic to L322 but not sport or evoque. The additional cable set at £150 is required for some P38 funcionality. Where as the hawkeye sems to have a cable for every function?

The lynx only covers updates for 12 months unless you buy the support yearly. But not a massive issue as long as the app keeps working without being updated?

At the moment the hawkeye is around £220 and the lynx around £320. Is the hawkeye vin locked or to one type of vehicle?

The Lynx Covers the L405 also but agree that it doesn't cover the Sport or the Evoke both of which appear to be in two different families.

I don't think as amatures, i.e. not involved in regular trade, the updates will make much difference. I primarily want access to fault codes. 

My understanding of Hawkeye is that you unlock each vehicle type. If like me you have a Classic, a P38 and a L322 one would need 3 unlock codes but could change my cars without requiring another code. 

I am no expert and I don't know what the functionality of the LR specific tools are like but if you are working on L322 Range Rovers you most certainly don't want something that can only read fault codes as that only gives you a quarter of the story. You need to be able to get to the live data to understand if things are in the right paramenters

For example on a TDV8 you have a sensor for both banks for pretty much everything - Mass airflow, Intake temp, EGR postions, etc. This can be invaluable when trying to work out what is wrong as you can compare both sides to each other and see what is going on. E.g You may get an intake temperature/airflow tolerance fault code come up but that only tells you a little bit. If you look at the live data you will be able to see that the left bank EGR is partially open (stuck) and thats the reason the readings are out. You can then swap sensors from side to side and prove out it is not a sensor issue but a mechanical fault

I use a Launch X431 Pad 2 which covers all cars and allows you to record and graph the live data as well as code injectors etc on a large range of vehicles. It cannot access the CCF files that I know some of the LR specific tools can do but it works on pretty much any car you can think of and many you will never have heard of!

4 hours ago, L19MUD said:

and many you will never have heard of!

I have now.... interesting, ...... I only have a P38 which I intend to keep, although  the Td5 130 might benefit from having it's tea-leaves read at some point. I went for the Nanocom on the basis that it seems to be the best for the P38. By the time I paid for delivery Nanocom was £480 ish. If I had known about the X431 mini and the almost universal application I might have re-considered . No idea what a ccf file is and whether it applies to me/mine though??

I think I paid about £1k for the X431 Pad II with updates included until 2020 but it was a demo unit

A CCF is a Change Configuration File. An example would be on a later L322 you can set the LED lights in the headlights to come on as DRL's or set the indicators to flash 3 times if you move the indicator stalk up/down but don't click it like many Audi's/BMWs etc