Jump to content

Core Plugs Leaking...Again (RV8)


Recommended Posts

Installed core plugs on one side of the engine about 2 months ago for the first time, did everything by the book (1-2mm inside the bore, knocked in straight and even, used blue Hylomar) but they're leaking again. They've lost about 200ml over 3 days so not a gush, but definitely not insignificant.

I haven't started the engine yet, so is it worth trying to get a bit of heat into it and seeing if they set in place or am I only going to add to my problems and should take them out now? I didn't like doing it the first time due to all the parts you have to disconnect to raise the engine enough  to get at it, and I've got 2 months' of progress now to unbolt since then. The actual installing I found quite satisfying, I just don't want to do everything around it.

I've read that red Hylomar is better in this case as it sets harder. 

Is the consensus to replace the plugs (I won't reuse them because they're cheap and I don't want to risk another leak if they're buckled or something) or can it be fixed in-situ another way?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've found some core plugs to be slightly small. Just too easy to install.

For the last few I've flared them slightly, by pressing an oversize socket into them. It's Made them slightly harder to fit.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2020 at 9:32 PM, neil110 said:

red hylomar is rubbish, always was.

 

And so is the blue ........ In my experience, if I come across it on an engine, it always a sign of a p**s poor rebuild, or been bodged up.

Wellseal is the only sealer worth using for dressing gaskets, and well fitting flanges, and proper RTV sealer for gasketless things like sumps, which Hylomar is not.

I do feel for you, you do not seem to be having much joy with this vehicle :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Gazzar said:

I've found some core plugs to be slightly small. Just too easy to install.

For the last few I've flared them slightly, by pressing an oversize socket into them. It's Made them slightly harder to fit.

 

I think that's what may be going on, they're barely bigger than the 30mm socket I'm using to push them in and were reasonably pleasant to fit. I assumed the right part number would mean the right size part.

I've ordered some more which are listed as 36mm, sounds too big but I'm going to see if getting it started and warned up for the first time makes the current ones seal or just ejects them at high pressure across the garage. Either way I can be sure I'm not wasting time.

47 minutes ago, smallfry said:

And so is the blue ........ In my experience, if I come across it on an engine, it always a sign of a p**s poor rebuild, or been bodged up.

Wellseal is the only sealer worth using for dressing gaskets, and well fitting flanges, and proper RTV sealer for gasketless things like sumps, which Hylomar is not.

I do feel for you, you do not seem to be having much joy with this vehicle :(

It's mostly self inflicted through a lack of experience coupled with a love for complaining. If I'd been sensible I would have done this when the engine was on the pallet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

 

I've ordered some more which are listed as 36mm, sounds too big but I'm going to see if getting it started and warned up for the first time makes the current ones seal or just ejects them at high pressure across the garage. Either way I can be sure I'm not wasting time.

 

I have the same fear. I used threadlock/Loctite on them, hopefully it will work.  But it niggles at me.

I wonder if I could use air to pressurise the block?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy