200 tdi engine and exhaust rattle

Hi all,

Problem 1 and 2 of 6784. 

My 200tdi (disco donor) with an otherwise smooth engine rattles like crazy on idle. This is bearable for short journeys but for long ones I cannot cope.

To address this, and because the originals are clearly shot, I have ordered some new engine mounts from Glencoyne; after reading on here. But I have just noticed that my engine currently has the cylindrical disco 1 mounts on, with the circular ones on the gearbox. Anyone know of a decent solution to this, or do I need to drop the engine out and change the brackets for 200tdi ones?

Secondly, my exhaust front section on idle hits my gearbox mount outrigger. I’ll attach a video for this. I was thinking about getting a slightly longer rubber hanger to give me an extra 10mm clearance. The whole section will be replaced at some point but, again, any ideas for this?

Cheers
Jake

9C1BB074-B8A3-4F62-8FAB-CAA498F90A1C.jpeg

5624F18F-CEFE-46FE-8C5B-DD3AA54CE184.jpeg

Those engine mounts are much more superior than the flat defender type, but what you now need to do is convert the gearbox mounts to the later square type, that should really help isolate the engine & transmission vibration wise.

I have been in other 200s and it doesn’t rattle like mine! Frustrating as when a bit of acceleration is applied, all the rattling stops. 

Mav, okay I didn’t know that. I’ve looked for genuine replacements and I’m having difficulty. There are some in Germany that are ~£35 which seems reasonable. Perhaps they are discontinued now? I want to avoid the big blue box l for obvious reasons. 

Well noted on the square gearbox mounts, I’ll get some. 

As I said, check your pump timing before spending money. Over advanced injection pump timing makes them rattle like hell on idle.

It used to be a popular way of getting extra performance from a tdi.

Takes 10 minutes to check with pins, could save you some money.

Mo

I had the same problem, swapped my 2.5TD for a 200TDI and on first start-up I was like .. why is the whole car rattling like crazy? 😆

I increased the idle rpm's by adjusting the throttle stop but same rattle.

I used new Britpart engine mount rubbers during the engine swap and ... replaced them with a Glencoyne set and the rattle was completely gone!

I did not drop the engine to replace the rubbers, just untied the nuts and lifted the engine enough to swap them out (know that my gearbox tunnel has some cuts from previous owner to help lifting the bunch..)

I thought that the disco engine mounts would not fit the Defender chassis engine? But I might be confused with disco 300tdi..

Edited by Koen110

44 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

Takes 10 minutes to check with pins, could save you some money.

Thanks Mo. I’ll read up on how to do this and definitely take a look. However, the mounts are completely shot so I will be replacing them anyway, for good practice. 

18 minutes ago, Koen110 said:

I increased the idle rpm's by adjusting the throttle stop but same rattle.

Same same! 🤣

19 minutes ago, Koen110 said:

I thought that the disco engine mounts would not fit the Defender chassis engine? But I might be confused with disco 300tdi..

I didn’t do the conversion so I don’t know about that- to be honest the car has been quite poorly put together which I have been rectifying over the last 2 months 🔨 😤 

11 hours ago, Koen110 said:

thought that the disco engine mounts would not fit the Defender chassis engine? But I might be confused with disco 300tdi..

They dont, someone has swapped/fabricated new chassis mounts going by the pics.

The disco engine mounts you have are far superior to the defender type, so I would keep those but try new genuine discovery mounts. If you have ordered Glencoyne engines mounts use a pair of these on the gearbox. 

My 200tdi rattled like crazy then i put glencoyne on the engine and gearbox mounts. It so much better. The steering wheel used to wobble about 

Another thing to try after the idle speed and timing. Is lift the engine with a hoist to take the weight, loosen the bolts and retighten, just to check nothing is hitting on the mounts 

Hope that helps

Jon