Half shaft modifications

Bigj66

Does anyone know of a company that will modify existing half shafts? By that I mean shorten them and reground the splines?

My local engineering company is swamped with back orders and have told me it will be at least 8 weeks before they could look at doing the work for me. I would like to get the chassis on wheels again as soon as I can so I can move it about to finish the rest of the work on it as lifting a ZF box onto the back of a V8 by hand isn’t good for my back 🚑

Try Albany pumps in the forest of Dean. They do oil and gas work, which is light at the moment, apparently.

It should be the same sort of engineering splines and stuff. I've no association with them, I just pass their place when I'm out and about.

4 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Try Albany pumps in the forest of Dean. They do oil and gas work, which is light at the moment, apparently.

It should be the same sort of engineering splines and stuff. I've no association with them, I just pass their place when I'm out and about.

Nearly as light as offshore wind farms...🤨

Will look them up 👍

I may have another solution that involves cutting the shaft to reduce the length in the centre and then joining the two halves together using friction welding.

That would avoid the need for any grinding of the splines and interference with the hardening. Cheaper than new shafts too but there’s limitations and more to investigate about the process so will see what happens.

5 hours ago, bishbosh said:

Just to note you can get it back on its wheels without the half shafts ;)

Problem is that I’m at a halfway stage and have already stripped out the bearings etc from the series hubs so I can’t bung them back on and, without the adapters I can’t get the new hubs on so it’s just a case of waiting until the adapters are made.

I've got a friend (:o) down here who I suspect would probably be able to do it and knowing him for not a lot. He's popping over on Sunday to look at some work for me so if I remember I can ask the question. Certainly got the tools to do it - he skimmed the head of my sister's Td5 in a single pass on one of his smaller mills :blink:.

• Like 1