Metal Detecting

10 hours ago, steve b said:

opened this thinking you had bought another Series with a rusty chassis .......:)

have fun and enjoy the relics

Steve b

You would need a metal dectector to find any remaining metal in the old chassis of my 109!

What a lovely place to take it. I spent many hours on that beach years ago and Marine Drive is something else in bad weather. We are here this morning, all waiting for pictures of your finds!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve b said:

Was just wondering how much plastic waste you might have come across during the day ?

Any trip to the beach down here means taking a bag for plastic waste on the tide line sadly

Steve  

To be totally honest there was not any and my mate commented on how clean the beach and area was so well done to the local council and public on that :)

2 hours ago, steve b said:

That is good to hear , I think we get more here because of the funnel effect of the coast line . Glad you had a nice day and that 88 looks great in limestone .

Steve

Cheer's, hopeing to get out to Southport towards the weekend so more pic's then 😀

I saw at Bridlington last week that they clean the sand with a tractor towing a "surf rake". It's a little like a round baler with a big sieve, scooping the top layer and then letting it fall back out through the sieve. It is driven at walking pace and does a great job quite quickly which is just as well as there's a fair area of sand even above high water mark.

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I saw at Bridlington last week that they clean the sand with a tractor towing a "surf rake". It's a little like a round baler with a big sieve, scooping the top layer and then letting it fall back out through the sieve. It is driven at walking pace and does a great job quite quickly which is just as well as there's a fair area of sand even above high water mark.

Yeah I think most beaches do that now :)

Well we went to Southport but when we arrived the tide was coming in and was chucking it down so decided to drive to Formby where the weather was better but the beach was full of scrap, paving flags and nos canisters so decided to knock it on the head and came home, will post pic's tomorrow :(

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Going metal detecting on Barmouth beach on Saturday, will post pic's of my finds when i get back 🙂

you sound quite excited :) 

I've always gone beach combing with my Dad since I was little, without even a metal detector, we've found all sorts of weird stuff.

I once found a 75mm solid steel practice round in the peak district moors, on an old artillery range, should have seen my mums face as I rolled it across the kitchen floor.

I remember Dad telling me about him finding the main body (box section) of a Vickers machine gun at the bottom of field at a holiday cottage they visited in the North Yorkshire moors once.

Great fun

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Maverik said:

you sound quite excited :) 

I've always gone beach combing with my Dad since I was little, without even a metal detector, we've found all sorts of weird stuff.

I once found a 75mm solid steel practice round in the peak district moors, on an old artillery range, should have seen my mums face as I rolled it across the kitchen floor.

I remember Dad telling me about him finding the main body (box section) of a Vickers machine gun at the bottom of field at a holiday cottage they visited in the North Yorkshire moors once.

Great fun

Yeah its great fun, i'm trying a new detector out that i've just bought so yeah i'm really excited😀

• Haha 1