Metal Detecting

15 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Barmouth is a fair trek for a day at the Beach 😊

Its only 100 mile from us in Manchester 200 mile round trip where as Scaborough in North Yorkshire was close to 300 mile round trip but to be 100% honest i never get tired of driving it and i could of quite easily have gone and done it all again straight away, out of all the series landy's i've had this has been the best for long distance driving 😀

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Well i only found this on Barmouth beach as we found other holes that someone had dug so think we need to go earlier and have more of a chance.

20200725_194724.jpg

Apparently that top has 24 crimps on it but in 1960 all bottle tops crimps was reduced to 21 crimps so that top will be at least 60 years old :)

1 hour ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Apparently that top has 24 crimps on it but in 1960 all bottle tops crimps was reduced to 21 crimps so that top will be at least 60 years old :)

you learn something new every day..... now I'm curious as to why invest all that money in tooling to drop three crimps and wondering if they did the same here 

15 hours ago, De Ranged said:

you learn something new every day..... now I'm curious as to why invest all that money in tooling to drop three crimps and wondering if they did the same here 

Yeah I've still got pic's of all the bottle tops I've found not many I know probably about 10 in total and all have 21 crimps on them and are all the usual ones you find all over world like Budweiser, Corona, Stella and alike so would be interesting to know if all countries that make bottle tops are making the with 21 crimps :)

8 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah I've still got pic's of all the bottle tops I've found not many I know probably about 10 in total and all have 21 crimps on them and are all the usual ones you find all over world like Budweiser, Corona, Stella and alike so would be interesting to know if all countries that make bottle tops are making the with 21 crimps :)

I did a little research lol I was curious 
It was about the time they changed from paper and cork to plastic as the seal, they developed a standard for bottle caps.... with 21 crimps 

I can remember as a kid (70-80's) getting soda bottles with cork caps.... I think it may have been mid 80's when they changed to the plastic and I'll bet 21 crimps 

13 hours ago, De Ranged said:

I did a little research lol I was curious 
It was about the time they changed from paper and cork to plastic as the seal, they developed a standard for bottle caps.... with 21 crimps 

I can remember as a kid (70-80's) getting soda bottles with cork caps.... I think it may have been mid 80's when they changed to the plastic and I'll bet 21 crimps 

Right ok still interesting to know though and when I find more tops I will deffo be checking, sadly the top i found the other day got binned after I took the pic and since then the bin men have been so it could be anywhere now :(

• 3 weeks later...

It was a better day there than here and that Landy is still lovely.

Looking at your haul, might I suggest a re-think about where you go swinging? Might be better focussing on Anglo-Saxon stuff under some soil somewhere. 😀

19 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

It was a better day there than here and that Landy is still lovely.

Looking at your haul, might I suggest a re-think about where you go swinging? Might be better focussing on Anglo-Saxon stuff under some soil somewhere. 😀

Nar not really interested in doing land detecting as its really hard to get permission.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Maverik said:

What gear do you use, I've always been interested in detecting but not quite taken the plunge in getting a device.

Hi Maverik, yeah I don't have anything special as I'm still classing myself as a novice as I've only been doing it for the past 2 years but more this year with having the landy on the road, i now have 2 detectors one is a C scope 4pi ( pulse induction ) and the other is a Tainxun TX850 which i have just bought and getting use to there doesn't seem much difference between the two but I plan to go out one day with both machines and cover the same patch with both of them and see if there is any difference and I also use a Nokta pinpointed as well and that's it really, oh and a sand scoop :)

4pi £260

tx850 £150

Nokta pinpointer £100

Sand scoop £75

all off Ebay and bought new

obviously you will need a finds bag maybe headphones and stuff but they are to your preference, hope this helps.

Edited by Cornish Rattler
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Didn't find much just some bottle tops, ring pulls, rubbish and scrap, then my mates detector packed up ( waterproof coil leaking in water ) so i let him and his bro use my spare detector and between them they found £8 in mixed change, a Silver ear ring ( hall marked ) some rubbish and scrap 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, smallfry said:

Excellent. Do you realise you will ALWAYS be that penny better off 🙂

I MUST drag my twenty odd year old Fisher 1250 out of the loft . By next week we could be Millionaires ! 

Whilst out at Blackpool i bumped into another detectorist who the day before ( obviously a local ) and shown me on his phone he found a Tiffeny and co bracelet worth new about £350 s/h £250 jammie sod

• Haha 1