Swing away spare wheel carrier spares

Hi all,

I’ve had my spare wheel carrier on for around 10 years now but it’s got a little slop in it and the powder coat has seen better days. I greased it whenever I did my props but it hasn’t saved the bushes. 

Now after 10 years I can’t remember who made it, I think it was a Safari Equip one but I bought it through Footloose 4x4. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cb540b95eb47b049e22ce1b7f7e44908.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.13649588e6b245f35a92972d92e26754.jpeg

Ive mailed Safari Equip but haven’t had a response yet. I’ll ring on Monday. 

I was wondering though if anyone knew exactly what carrier this is? Incase I’m completely wrong  and need to order bushes from elsewhere?

Dave!

Looks the same as mine (apart from the Hi-Lift bracket), mine was manufactured by WH Wheel Carriers (bought it 20-years ago) but I believe they later supplied or were bought out by Safari Equip?

As above, my powder coating soon fell off but after a very quick / poor paint job (to keep the rust at bay) I later had it galvanised and it has been fine ever since. Surprised to hear about bushes as mine has none, the bolts act directly in the holes and mine have never shown any wear at all.

Even though I have had it for so many years I have few photos of the carrier itself as it usually has the spare wheel attached but I found one of it from about 12-years ago just prior to being sent for galvanising and another taken a few weeks ago as I rebuilt the body onto a new chassis.

SPARE WHEEL CARRIER.JPG

DSCF0005 - Copy_LI.jpg

I bought mine from Safari Equip (wva Holding). Its the same, but I asked for it galvanised. Had it on for 12 years now and it looks like new. 

175 GPB for the carrier, 

30 GBP for the galvanisation. Well worth the money :)

Skärmavbild 127.jpg

• 9 months later...

A while after this post, but I have the same carrier on my recently acquired Defender.  My problem is the thread size on the bolts.  The car had 4 Boost alloys but the spare was a steel wheel.  When I changed that to an alloy wheel and went to fit it to the carrier, the alloy wheel-nuts won't fit.  Internal diameter of the nuts is about 0.2mm different, measured with a digital vernier gauge.

Does anybody know if these carriers had non-standard studs for fixing the wheels?