Help Again Power Steering

So Close to finishing this Rebuild but hitting problem after Problem, hope this is the Last.

Power  steering  problem now. Listen for the Groan in this Vid, it does it as soon as steering wheel is turned not just on full lock

All steering bits are new drag links,  bars ect. 

Done all the usual bleeding things, lock to lock, loosening bleed screw, fluid going through good, no leaks anywhere. 

UJs seem OK moving freely. 

Could  there something else causing this. Noise does seem to be coming from Pump Area.

13 minutes ago, western said:

Does it make the 'groan' with the tyres off the ground ???

if No then I would say its the tread blocks moving against the hard surface you can hear.

No mate it doesn't do it with wheels jacked up,  but I drove it outside and it was the same on ground

7 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Is your power steering belt properly adjusted ?

Mo

Think so, Will have another go at it, I thought there was just one way to get belt on, is there a way to tighten or slacken it. 

If the system's been empty it can take a while for the froth in the PAS reservoir to die down - I've never had to bleed PAS, just fire it up & cycle it back & forth a few times, but it does take some time to get all the bubbles out of the system. You can see the fluid frothing in the reservoir if you take the cap off.

4 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Think so, Will have another go at it, I thought there was just one way to get belt on, is there a way to tighten or slacken it. 

Slacken the 3 bolts securing the pas pump mount plate to the bigger bracket, put a 1/2 inch square drive & handle in the square hole & tension the belt then while keeping tension on tighten the 3 bolts, that's how I do my 200tdi pas belt tension

12 minutes ago, western said:

Slacken the 3 bolts securing the pas pump mount plate to the bigger bracket, put a 1/2 inch square drive & handle in the square hole & tension the belt then while keeping tension on tighten the 3 bolts, that's how I do my 200tdi pas belt tension

Are they the same as think mine has 15 m socket to turn it

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

Kevin, do you have a 200 Tdi or a 300 Tdi ? It makes a difference.

If you're not sure, post a picture.

Mo

Disco 300 tdi Mate, tried the belt but still the same, all I can think of now is Pump. Unless there's anything else to try.  Got a spare engine so think I might try Pump off it.

51 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

Ok so it won't have a separate belt then.

I would be inclined to leave it until you drive it and see how you get on. Does sound like air in the system and changing the pump will just let more in.

Mo

No just the one belt. Just drove it around the field a few times tried to bleed again but just the same. The fluid pours through bleed screw perfect no air , fluid in Res top does not bubble up or anything.  Just lossed for Ideas of what else to try now. 

It does not have to be on Full Lock to di this the noise comes as soon as steering wheel is moved either way,

Edited by kevin50

1 hour ago, kevin50 said:

Disco 300 tdi Mate, tried the belt but still the same, all I can think of now is Pump. Unless there's anything else to try.  Got a spare engine so think I might try Pump off it.

Sorry Kev, I forgot it is a 300Tdi. 

Get driving it, will likely sort itself out.

Only other thing I think may be possible is a loose union, sometimes they can suck air in, and make a noise.

What have you replaced? Pump, box, lines?

7 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Get driving it, will likely sort itself out.

Only other thing I think may be possible is a loose union, sometimes they can suck air in, and make a noise.

What have you replaced? Pump, box, lines?

Its a 6 bolt steering box, had to get one of the hoses lengthened at engineering place so it would reach from Box to Pump for this conversion.  but there is no leaks anywhere.

Will check all joints,  Took other pump off spare Disco so Might give it a Go.

It sounds terrible when driving. 

IMG_20200630_180152.jpg

23 minutes ago, western said:

Pleased to read you've cured another problem, :i-m_so_happy:

Don't worry I've got another,😬  found it along the way solving this one.

So here it is, Aint got a clue how this has happened.  I have not touched this bit before a Mate put the front cover back on when we were on with Timing. We noticed a bit of a Rattle coming from that area and at first thought it was the tensioner bearing, but Id just put a newish one on.

Anyway the rattle stopped after a while and I noticed one of the bolts on front wheel on timing cover was just loose, thought it had stripped threads or something so checked today whilst I had belt off and found this. 

Its all back together now but only held on with 3 well 2 and a half bolts,  runs fine at the moment but just cant figure out how this has happend.

Cant afford another cover was hoping that bit was separate but don't think it is, Looks like another part will have to be stolen from the spare parts Disco. and another Faff on of taking it all apart again, unless there is a DIY Fix. was thinking I might try a bolt through from the other side.

Its for  the big Pulley that belt goes on.

IMG_20200701_155343.jpg

IMG_20200701_155357.jpg

Edited by kevin50