Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

Ive just watched the video again. The more I look at it the more I like it 😊

It will have to remain an aspiration but perhaps one day I'll get lucky !

In the meantime I'm keen to see what they plan with the dash and interior.

Mo

• Like 1

I like it, I’m probably not the target market but may be interested in one at 5-6yrs old as a second vehicle for travel further afield.

If they do well from this then hopefully it’s just a starting point for a wider range of vehicles - I like the FC idea although it probably isn’t the best choice as a debut vehicle. If the platform is adaptable enough then all sorts of variants could easily be produced.

36 minutes ago, Ozzy50 said:

I wonder how many potential new Defender buyers are holding back their order until more details are released on the Grenadier ? 

Probably not huge numbers - they seem to me to have very different target markets. 

The only real potential cross over is with the urban warrior types who want something with genuine off road credibility (which I can't see the new Defender retaining - however capable it is it just won't be used off road enough). But the grenadier will probably have to be around a while and become better known first. No point sending macho signals your BMW driving colleagues aren't going to pick up...

2 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

I wonder how many potential new Defender buyers are holding back their order until more details are released on the Grenadier ? 

Yep, except I'm highly unlikely to opt for a new Defender, based on the marketing and stereotypical target customer base it just won't be my scene. My truck is up for renewal this year but I'll stall for a bit and see how the Grenadier goes.

25% more weight than a 110, but in contrast to my previous statements I'd rather drive one of these over a Defender if they've sorted the roll over protection.

I thought there where emissions regulations on manufacturers now that gave average targets for the whole range of vehicles? So the largish BMW unit in themselves either hint at expected low initial sales or more hints at these being registered as commercials?

Have I misunderstood soemthing on the emissions regulations at the moment?

Those 6ers are pretty good to be honest, and great on emissions, even for German standards.... suspect they won't need to fiddle the system.

Which brings me to another thought, emissions related, I wonder if they will have switchable 2WD/4WD....?

Unless I've missed something I would think , although I don't know, that they are aiming it at the commercial market, which after all was one of the prime sectors LR catered for before they got all wrapped up in the lifestyle and executive BS.

6 hours ago, WesBrooks said:

25% more weight than a 110, but in contrast to my previous statements I'd rather drive one of these over a Defender if they've sorted the roll over protection.

I thought there where emissions regulations on manufacturers now that gave average targets for the whole range of vehicles? So the largish BMW unit in themselves either hint at expected low initial sales or more hints at these being registered as commercials?

Have I misunderstood soemthing on the emissions regulations at the moment?

Where are you getting the weights from? Wouldn't have thought anything like that had been released yet.

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Where are you getting the weights from? Wouldn't have thought anything like that had been released yet.

From the quoted text on this post along with dimensions:

Edited by WesBrooks

Given it's being built by Steyr I wonder how many bits are out of the G-Wagen parts bin?

And I wonder if it'll perform better or worse than a G-Wagen or indeed the new Defender for that matter - lockers all round sounds good on paper but Terrain Response can do some very smart stuff that can't be replicated by the average human.

Wonder if they have a centre diff or it's just 2WD/4WD like most things?

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Given it's being built by Steyr I wonder how many bits are out of the G-Wagen parts bin?

And I wonder if it'll perform better or worse than a G-Wagen or indeed the new Defender for that matter - lockers all round sounds good on paper but Terrain Response can do some very smart stuff that can't be replicated by the average human.

Wonder if they have a centre diff or it's just 2WD/4WD like most things?

I'd be amazed if it didn't have a centre diff.  And, given that an anti-lock braking system is pretty much compulsory, some sort of traction control may well be fitted along with the lockers.  This is going to be interesting.

• Like 1