Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Looking forward to the reveal.

On a serious note, I saw someone say about a Grenadier sub-forum here on LR4x4. I think it was meant jokingly, but I'd like to put a +1 to the idea. I think it would be good to welcome such a vehicle on a forum such as this.

I had the same thought. There will likely be specific forums setup in due course but if the first result when people search for one is this forum, why not? It's already a spiritual successor if not a direct descendent.

• Like 2

On a serious note, I saw someone say about a Grenadier sub-forum here on LR4x4. I think it was meant jokingly, but I'd like to put a +1 to the idea. I think it would be good to welcome such a vehicle on a forum such as this.

+2

• Like 1

Makes sense to me - it obviously opens up the question of "and what else?" (Shogun? Patrol? Jimny?) - but given we've never been a strict Land Rover only forum, is there any reason not to cast a wider net? Discuss...

52 minutes ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Makes sense to me - it obviously opens up the question of "and what else?" (Shogun? Patrol? Jimny?) - but given we've never been a strict Land Rover only forum, is there any reason not to cast a wider net? Discuss...

I think the other marques are big enough and long lived (multiple models/variants/mks) enough to have enough forum coverage across the web. The Grenadier is unlikely to get much of a forum community as a sole marque. As there won't be 1000's of owners straight off. But, no matter what anyone says, it does seem to be a kindred spirit to the Defender. And would likely fit in very well here.

So no, I'm not proposing other marques. Just the Grenadier. :)

4 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

It was a serious suggestion - based on it being utility and as others have said , the spiritual sucessor to the (real)Defender . I also think there will be much more real world work use of it (obviously ..?) more quickly than Defender 2.0 purely because 2.0 is more of a SUV/car .

The 2.0 has a place here at LR4x4 , it will just have different topics .

That said , I did also think it might make a few chuckle and those count for a lot now :D

The teaser pictures are superb , can't wait to see the unveil

Steve

I’ve read a lot of comments justifying the design of the new LR Defender against crash standards and safety regulations, and its construction against modern standards and what the market wants - effectively not admitting that they’ve renounced utility to build a luxury car .... and asserting that what they built was the ultimate modern 4x4  - I think we are about to see that that is all nonsense.

This is looking every bit the modernised Defender to me so far; with intelligent supply chain and profit margins, substance over style and utility at its core - and all that that means, and all done whilst having the same beam axle and separate chassis design, plus boxy iconic exterior styling. 

What do they say?  The King is Dead - long live the king !.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Personally wouldn't mind plastic panels.  They worked well on my Smart cars. 

As ineos is a petrol chemical business, they would have access to a lot of expertise in plastics. 

Radcliffe is a defender owner, so he's no doubt very aware of the galvanic rust potential (sorry) of a steel/alloy sandwich.

I expect most of the vulnerable panels to be plastic.

I'm actually quite excited about this.

• Like 1

Interesting.

I daresay had this body design been revealed when the old Defender was still in production there may have been comments about it resembling a Santana or a mashup of cues from elsewhere. However with the new Defender on the scene and looking more like an illegitimate Discovery love match the Grenadier looks rather more like the legitimate heir to the old Defender's place at the table.

Technology and mechanics aside I rather like the looks of it. Could well be interested.

• Like 2