Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

10 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Grille and front are not to my taste, I like the rest of it though.

If it's available for less than £40k on the road it'll be an interesting option.

Especially with a nice BMW engine. I have had three BMW's and the engines have been excellent in all of them whether petrol or diesel.

• Like 2

I really like it. The front view is like someone said above... a bit of a cheap chinese copy look. But other than that I really like it.

I think it shows that Jim Ratcliffe/Ineos won the case against LR with regard to the shape! I just can't help but feel a bit sad that LR missed the opportunity by a country mile. The Ineos has FAR more Defender about it. Whilst the new Defender is a great bit of engineering it shouldn't have been the defender and I think the Grenadier shows what it should have been. It could have done all of what LR are doing with the new Defender and been a tough working vehicle too.

I think it’s very early to say Land Rover missed an opportunity here.  

An opportunity to rebuild a very old design almost exactly the same ? 

I think this has a market I would say let’s see some sales numbers in a year or so before we say who has missed the mark.

7 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

Bonnet looks a bit fugly at first, but looks like it will be a pretty simple aerodynamic improvement over the Defender type. I like it, looks a whole lot nicer than the JLR Offender.

I actually prefer the Slovak defender appearance, slightly, but I think this is a much better design for a utility vehicle.

The front looks better at different angles in that ineos video that Anderzander posted above. I do keep looking at those bits that hang down beneath the chassis rails though for the suspension arms - wonder if they are going to work at re-engineering them any more to move them upwards!?

32 minutes ago, mad_pete said:

From that article..

"However, last month the Intellectual Property Office decided that the Defender’s shape was not different enough from that of other 4×4 models for a trademark to be justified. 

JLR is fighting the verdict in the High Court. The company said: “The Defender is an iconic vehicle which is part of Jaguar Land Rover’s past, present and future.

“Its unique shape is recognised around the world, with the heritage shape being protected in other key markets.”

JLR is fiercely protective of its Defender. In 2016, it prevented a Canadian company from using the name ‘Defender’ for an all-terrain vehicle. "

They will be burning the midnight oil over this I bet.

21 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

From that article..

"However, last month the Intellectual Property Office decided that the Defender’s shape was not different enough from that of other 4×4 models for a trademark to be justified. 

JLR is fighting the verdict in the High Court. The company said: “The Defender is an iconic vehicle which is part of Jaguar Land Rover’s past, present and future.

“Its unique shape is recognised around the world, with the heritage shape being protected in other key markets.”

JLR is fiercely protective of its Defender. In 2016, it prevented a Canadian company from using the name ‘Defender’ for an all-terrain vehicle. "

They will be burning the midnight oil over this I bet.

Haha. It's ironic really. The Defender is clearly part of JLR's past... but those shaping it's future don't seem to care what the past looked like.... 

I wonder how much of the design that was revealed today was revealed as part of the original court case...

Edited by reb78
  • Like 1