Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

1 hour ago, Happyoldgit said:

From that article..

"However, last month the Intellectual Property Office decided that the Defender’s shape was not different enough from that of other 4×4 models for a trademark to be justified. 

JLR is fighting the verdict in the High Court. The company said: “The Defender is an iconic vehicle which is part of Jaguar Land Rover’s past, present and future.

“Its unique shape is recognised around the world, with the heritage shape being protected in other key markets.”

JLR is fiercely protective of its Defender. In 2016, it prevented a Canadian company from using the name ‘Defender’ for an all-terrain vehicle. "

They will be burning the midnight oil over this I bet.

Ineos have deeper pockets at the moment, I suspect.

1 hour ago, Eightpot said:

Fancy dropping one of the worlds most iconic vehicle designs only to let someone else pick it up.  Reedonkulous. 

Doesn’t that just sum up the inconsistency of their messaging on the Defender.

Got to agree about the front grill, the inner lights just seem to be in the wrong place. 

On first look, the back doors, I thought looked very ‘pajero-esque’ with the double doors. In the video, with the designer, he mentions the smaller one being the first door to open. I liked the sound of that, but then thought if I had one, and the dogs are in a crate then I’ll be forever opening both anyway. I think from a ‘worker’ perspective, a lot of tool bags/boxes are fairly large so I think both will need opening either way. 

So from my ramblings, I think it would be better if the larger one opened first. 

But, having said that I would probably buy one, if I can afford it.

14 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

Change your lifestyle then Gaz, become wealthy and successful 😁

Mo

That's where I was going wrong! I was focusing on being poor, and succeeding.

• Haha 2

The 'lump' behind the ladder on the nearside - from a techie perspective that would be a great place to stash the rear-screenwash bottle! [And fit it with an external filler-bung so you can easily ship another 5 litres of water - I'm fed up of draining the Defender's combined front/rear washbottle on a 100-mile winter salty-slushy-motorway trip then having to do the next 15 miles to a service-area at 60MPH and peering through a semi-opaque windscreen].

Still not tempted to buy one though, even though virus-induced shutdowns in Japan now make it look like it'll be next year before I get to take delivery of my LWB LandCruiser 'commercial'.

Must be hard for them to talk about their absolutely deliberate Defender clone without saying it and getting sued back to the dark ages by JLR :lol:

Edit: Worked out what it reminds me of... those Chinese clones of cars that are ever so slightly "off";

BAIC-BJ80.jpeg.db4a1ded9a32784ebc9b7bf0ffabda26.jpeg

If I had the money, I'd already be sending Ineos a deposit.  I wouldn't even care if that made me an inadvertent test-driver because I want to encourage them in every way possible.  They have taken on the polar opposites of today's regulation-intense manufacturing climate and the niche market need for a "proper" Land Rover type vehicle and, apparently, made it work in a way that shows the absolute minimum of compromise.  Apart from (probably) the wheels, I can't imagine any Defender parts would fit but this IS the true successor to the loooong line of Land Rovers (which are no longer made by the original manufacturer - which doesn't really exist anyway).  Even that odd-looking boat in the front makes sense and would serve better than the bulbous nose on the new Defender.

This thing has good design, which makes an absolute mockery of that ego-maniac McGovern and all his spouting about "design cues".  In fact, JLR should pay Ineos to put the Land Rover name on the front of every Grenadier because, that way, Land Rover would regain some of its reputation!  Assuming (with some confidence) that they don't do something idiotic with the ergonomics or electronics, etc., I can see this being the only viable replacement for my 110 amongst any modern vehicle.  Was that too strong a statement?

Yup, I would support a Grenadier sub-forum too.  It's a happy day for Land Rover fans, if a bit left-field.

• Like 4

I'm not so sure about the bonnet, but otherwise, it does look to be a good spiritual successor to the Defender.  I'm certainly keener on it than the new Defender.  It will be interesting to see how it develops and if they can keep the interior utilitarian as well and not be tempted by touchscreens for everything.

10 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

The more I see of it, the more I like. I agree wholeheartedly with Deep. If I had the money, I'd have one. For me, it works.

Me too however at my age a new car is not a sensable thing

1 hour ago, mmgemini said:

Me too however at my age a new car is not a sensable thing

All the more reason.

Which would you prefer to arrive at the pearly gates in? A Toyota Yaris, or an Ineos defender?

That is, if you can't cope with a series.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

I'm not so sure about the bonnet, but otherwise, it does look to be a good spiritual successor to the Defender.  I'm certainly keener on it than the new Defender.  It will be interesting to see how it develops and if they can keep the interior utilitarian as well and not be tempted by touchscreens for everything.

I expect the aftermarket will make a defender bonnet for it.