Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

On 1/18/2021 at 5:17 AM, Snagger said:

That is another of my peeves about touchscreens, Steve.  It’s a feature I’m going to have contend with at work too, because some idiot MBA in Chicago has overruled common sense and decided we’re losing our tactile computer input devices for the navigation, comms, checklist and system synoptic screens.  What could go wrong? 🙄. It’s bad enough trying to read the screens now with fingerprints from previous crews (why are they touching the screens?  Are they licking the windows too?), but it’s going to be terrible with the touchscreens.

What will happen if you are going through turbulence?! Got to be safer with a physical switch vs a touchscreen?!

• Like 2

Thing is though, the more you use them, the more you get used to using well laid out touchscreens. The icon positions become as familiar as dinosaur switches and knobs and resting a palm on the edge of the screen to steady the finger jab. Pecking at a screen icon with a finger at the end of an extended arm in a moving vehicle is going to be hit and miss. I don't like finding that someone else has left fingerprints on the screen though, just as I don't like fingermarks left over a carelessly adjust interior mirror - but in my case the offending smears are going to be from family members as they are the only ones who drive my stuff.

I think it is the tactile feedback missing is the biggest issue for most people(certainly for me) -I can do heater controls without taking my eye off the road at all, not so if buried in a poor touchscreen UI.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I think it is the tactile feedback missing is the biggest issue for most people(certainly for me) -I can do heater controls without taking my eye off the road at all, not so if buried in a poor touchscreen UI.

^ this is it - no tactile feedback or location, you can't find a button by feel without looking away from the road and you can't be certain you've pressed it. Also, screens are often backlit which means they don't dim very well at night.

Have you heard about the Tesla issue where their screen goes blank due to the flash memory being full?Not fun when you loose all dials at speed. There is talk of a class action as this is a known issue that this will happen over time as the memory becomes full and there is talk that this may force a recall and replacement of current screens.

• Like 1

I'm at a stage where, having lost my job which provided a company car, I have been trying to press my 1987 110 into service as a "daily driver".  It turns out that the constant niggle of ageing hoses and seals, plus the usual maintenance involved with using older vehicles in general (and Land Rovers in particular) is making that a tragic process.  My dream car is showing its age.  So ... the plan is to sell the 110 (and my gorgeous little SLK Merc) and buy something newer.  Sounds very sensible but "something newer" is seething with horrible complications and full of things waiting to go wrong that I can't fix.  I'm stuck in Limbo Land.  From my point of view, we are a loooooong way past the golden age of motoring and have all become pawns in a political and financial game, one that discourages any form of independence. 

Clearly, I'm not currently in a position to buy a Grenadier but, if they show restraint and respect the driver's intelligence, it will be right at the top of my list in a wealthier future.  

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:05 PM, soutie said:

Have you heard about the Tesla issue where their screen goes blank due to the flash memory being full?Not fun when you loose all dials at speed. There is talk of a class action as this is a known issue that this will happen over time as the memory becomes full and there is talk that this may force a recall and replacement of current screens.

It's worse than that - the memory isn't full, it's worn out. Flash memory can only be written to a certain number of times - Teslas both regularly install software updates and log to their flash memory, so there are a lot of writes to it - eventually parts of the memory cease to work, reducing it's capacity. That's normal for flash memory, but it reaches the point were there's no longer enough working memory capacity for the system to function. Which is entirely predictable with the way Tesla are using it, hence the class action.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:08 PM, reb78 said:

What will happen if you are going through turbulence?! Got to be safer with a physical switch vs a touchscreen?!

That’s my point.  And a malfunctioning screen is going to inhibit a lot of selections.

Steve, the problem with fingerprints is not an aesthetic or even sanitary issue (even now); it’s that with the sun shining on the screen, the finger prints obscure what is being displayed.  Not good for critical information.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jeremy996 said:

No shots of the interior, but a little more of the build process and confirmation that most of it will be galvanised. 

Like the black one - did a screen grab that didn’t work out .....

022E7CB5-AF2B-471E-8B84-F5BF77E8936A.jpeg.1eee24c50eb16b606e14818689540766.jpeg

But I think it shows - how much better the front end design seems to work in black.

7 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

You can see why they went with that over build something from scratch in Wales - it’s a massive head start for them.

Huge time and cost saving there. And hopefully if a plant/staff set are good enough to satisfy a high-end manufacturer like Mercedes they'll keep the quality levels high for the Grenadier. 

10 minutes ago, Daan said:

I must admit, this is growing on me.

It would be nice if they made a pickup without back seats but maybe just a little room behind the seats for gear.  A decent capacity wellside on a vehicle that size would be pretty useful!

32 minutes ago, deep said:

It would be nice if they made a pickup without back seats but maybe just a little room behind the seats for gear.  A decent capacity wellside on a vehicle that size would be pretty useful!

Mate of mine had a ranger with the extended cab.... tiny flip down seats if you really needed to put a couple of people there. Mostly it was just a great place for either the dog or chainsaws etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Huge time and cost saving there. And hopefully if a plant/staff set are good enough to satisfy a high-end manufacturer like Mercedes they'll keep the quality levels high for the Grenadier. 

The Smart plant's quality was not that great, although that was probably more reflective of the Smart's design than the quality of the plant or the staff. Designing a vehicle to to "built right first time" is quite hard and I'm not sure many western manufacturers do it very well. By reputation, Sunderland's Nissan plant has the highest first time build quality.

The tone of the video suggests the Grenadier is going to be close to a half-price G-Wagen.