Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

A US orientated YouTube video from Overland Portal containing a brief interview with Greg Clark, the VP of Ineos Automotive in the USA, (commences 23:50).

Total video is 31 minutes.

My takeaways are it is bigger than I expected, (according to them, anyway), and Sir Jim Radcliffe is customer no.1. The hosts made a comparison between Gerry and Jim and who would be most interested in how functional it is in practise!

Edited by jeremy996
Watched it again and pulled out some themes

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ineos/grenadier 

Autocar review of the prototypes in off road action.

"No modern-day monocoque could ever hope to provide quite the same degree of axle articulation, spring travel or sheer climbing ability. It can do things that off-roaders of more modern construction can only dream of. It also feels wonderfully engineered, with an almost Teutonic feel to the rigidity of its structure and weighting of various functions, including the door and boot closures." Greg Kable, European Editor

Maybe Jim Radcliffe's "half price G-Wagen" was not quite so far off the mark?

The Autocar wheelbases come back as 115" and 125", which suggest it is quite a bit bigger than a 110.

12-ineos-grenadier-2021-prototype-drive-trees.jpg

Wonder what the huge white lump is hanging down in front of the rear wheel:

11-ineos-grenadier-2021-prototype-drive-gk-driving.jpg.f9c04601f3652722c57cab731303631c.jpg

That looks like it could get in the way a tad.

Also I can't help but think if LR published a photo like this of the new Defender a lot of folks would be jumping on the obvious lack of proper articulation and that beam axles would be so much better;

9-ineos-grenadier-2021-prototype-drive-articulation.jpg.d6eec8b3d0307ec512cad5c727836602.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

11-ineos-grenadier-2021-prototype-drive-gk-driving.jpg.f9c04601f3652722c57cab731303631c.jpg

That's the trailing arm mount everyone has been laughing at since the start. It's just so ridiculous. Then again, looking at that lovely rear scoop something-guard they don't seem to care about ground clearance at all.

21 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

9-ineos-grenadier-2021-prototype-drive-articulation.jpg.d6eec8b3d0307ec512cad5c727836602.jpg

Quite sad really. Probably has great big anti-roll bars in it to make it not flop over on the road.

But really, it just couldn't look more like a Chinese knock-off Defender if it tried:

Ineos%20Grenadier%20prototype%20review-1

So the logo is illuminated too now?

Edited by elbekko

4 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

The more I see it, the more I think a UAZ has been playing with a Nissan Patrol behind the bike sheds.

Looking at the performance etc. and the fact it's made by Magna I can't help but wonder if it's the leftovers from a G-Wagen replacement / update / rival project as it has a lot of similarities, such as surprisingly low axle travel and "even uglier than a Defender" looks... wonder if Mr Ineos got a special offer from Magna on the setup because someone else (possibly someone in Germany) had already paid for a load of R&D on the project previously.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elbekko said:

That's the trailing arm mount everyone has been laughing at since the start. It's just so ridiculous. Then again, looking at that lovely rear scoop something-guard they don't seem to care about ground clearance at all.

Quite sad really. Probably has great big anti-roll bars in it to make it not flop over on the road.

But really, it just couldn't look more like a Chinese knock-off Defender if it tried:

Ineos%20Grenadier%20prototype%20review-1

So the logo is illuminated too now?

Have to agree with all of this. That massive under hanging trailing arm mount has been there from the start. Really odd. 

On 6/16/2021 at 3:07 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Wonder what the huge white lump is hanging down in front of the rear wheel:

That looks like it could get in the way a tad.

Also I can't help but think if LR published a photo like this of the new Defender a lot of folks would be jumping on the obvious lack of proper articulation and that beam axles would be so much better;

I said much the same about the apparent lack of articulation compared to the LR coilers.  Someone replied that they have hefty anti roll bars, so that stiffness shouldn’t be insurmountable.

The big white block looks like the trailing arm mount.  I commented on the depth of those and other protuberances before too.  It is a concern.  LR weren’t unique in using sloping radius and trailing arms to tuck such bushes and mounts up out of the way.  I’m a little concerned that like the Pretender, Ineos have gone down the path of relying on locking or e-diffs and ignoring the no benefits of articulate suspension.

The wheel base is longer than the Defender, but I don’t think the body is - the rear wheels especially are much nearer the corners to allow bigger doors and more leg room.  It’ll help with approach and departure angles, given those deep bumpers, but it’s going to reduce break over angles if they haven’t got a slimmer belly than the Defender, and I doubt that is the case.

On 5/22/2021 at 5:20 PM, jeremy996 said:

Another video from the Ineos Grenadier site - just pretty pictures of the later prototypes.

Press video https://media.ineosgrenadier.com/ineos-grenadier-passes-gruelling-mountain-tests-with-flying-colours-2/ineos-grenadier-testing-b-roll-2/ 

(Too big to download to LR4x4)

See this for some more flexibility moments than above, people have short memories!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

See this for some more flexibility moments than above, people have short memories!

Didn't see much unless I blinked? The body looks lower than a Defender to me but might be an illusion.

2 hours ago, missingsid said:

Didn't see much unless I blinked? The body looks lower than a Defender to me but might be an illusion.

From around 1:55 to 2:20, very clearly dropping front and rear wheels a long way on more than one occasion.

Anti-roll bars don't preclude off-road flex, late RRCs and Discos had them, and I don't remember anyone complaining about flex off road, did they?

I'm talking stock vehicles here, not some RTI ramp queen.