Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

12 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Ah yes - the new Jimmy is very similar isn’t it .. even has the screen in the centre the same. 

… and I guess all of those vehicles are where visibility trumps the aerodynamic requirement.

Vehicle shape has a big part of it too. the Mini hatch windscreen is pretty upright too. Makes them pretty prone to stone chips too.

16 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

I really like the interior. The outside looks very good too.

I think we should bomb the French factory though and go back to building it in Wales.

Mo

Quite agree.

The interior has almost sold it for me and if I'm buying one i'm definitely going for the sunroofs. Is there any information on running costs such as mpg yet? I do hope they don't go all new-defendery with their pricing as well. If it's comparable to a Hilux or Navara and at a sensible £400 pcm on PCP with a low deposit then I think it'll do really well.

• Like 1

Starting price is to be ‘around £45k’ so about the same as the bottom of the Defender range. It definitely won’t be competing with the cheap pickup market, more in line with the posher versions, but they’re really pushing the durability and reliability angle as being worth the extra cash.

• Like 1

Specifically, they said 45,000 pounds for a two seat commercial version, so most will cost more.  I can't imagine they'd hit the Range Rover-esque pricing of a top specced Defender but chuck in the leather seats and some option and I could see a fifty percent premium.  It all seems highly academic and reasonable at this stage.  The price will mean a lot more once the public start driving them and we can gauge the real value/quality.

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

910A4322-F92A-4C76-BE0A-1FBD524D05C0.thumb.jpeg.de715a3d2e830c67c825ad1c3484b84a.jpeg

Pinched from petrolped on Instaspam.

Yuck, truly naff. I hope that's just a preproduction.

Also no speedo, you don't want a speedo on the centre console.

3 hours ago, missingsid said:

Yuck, truly naff. I hope that's just a preproduction.

Also no speedo, you don't want a speedo on the centre console.

I've driven a few cars, and owned one, with central gauges including speedo, you get used to it very, very quickly.

Your speed isn't the most important thing to be looking at when driving :)

• Like 1

This my 'office' for a short while: 

2005112_Hyundai_Matrix_interior.jpg

Happily since moved on, but never thought it was odd having everything in the centre, apart from warning lights right in front.

Also makes making things far cheaper for LHD/RHD variants, especially on a new model.

• Like 1

All true and I have a very short memory since my S1 and S2 hybrid have them. Plus my 1st car was a Minivan.

I don't actually look at my speedo often as muscle memory means I can judge without looking.

I guess I jumped into negative mode to quickly.

• Like 1

I just saw another Ineos video clip on Instagram that I can’t find on YouTube - it’s their guy (looks 14 years old) in charge of designing accessories. 

He’s talking about the bumper being big as it’s ready to take a winch, sidesteps, wheels and tyres (which we’ve seen and heard about before), a raised air intake that looks quite interesting, and additional lighting. 

On 7/6/2021 at 1:00 AM, jeremy996 said:

Looks like the interior reveal will be 00:01 07/07/2021 BST, announced on the Ineos Grenadier Facebook page.

I’m impressed by the photos.  Individual sun roofs, a console with easy access to switches, and no touchscreen in sight.  Looks like a cross between a boat and an aircraft cockpit.

Another "Exclusive" interior reveal but a slightly less breathy analysis and using a styling buck rather than a 2B prototype. 

On 7/10/2021 at 4:57 PM, Snagger said:

I’m impressed by the photos.  Individual sun roofs, a console with easy access to switches, and no touchscreen in sight.  Looks like a cross between a boat and an aircraft cockpit.

There is definitely a touchscreen there! The iDrive controller makes it possible to use gloves and most functions seem to have a switch. From the various videos I've seen, the screen is for the infotainment and the waypoint app. It also seems to show the speedo - which bothers me. 

Still, all vehicles are a compromise; it's just a case of 'is this a better compromise for me?'

43 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I’ve noticed a lot of the grenadier videos from various people are all ‘exclusive’…. How can they all be?!? :unsure: 

Most of them are just a rehash of the press release, the Grenadier footage and Ken Burns effect over the press pack pictures. I posted the Overland Europe video as it is original and with a slightly different emphasis. They all had the same embargo, so presumably all launched at the same time. Although I have watched more YouTube videos, unless they're novel or interesting I won't link them here.

Watching the same footage in German, French and Australian has been educational!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

There is definitely a touchscreen there! The iDrive controller makes it possible to use gloves and most functions seem to have a switch. From the various videos I've seen, the screen is for the infotainment and the waypoint app. It also seems to show the speedo - which bothers me. 

Ah, so there is.  I should know better than to judge from photos from groups on my phone - the screen is just too small to see the details of the photo properly.  I had thought what is the screen was just a stereo control panel.  Still, at least all the important stuff has physical switching.