xdefend gear lever lock

dave88sw

I have a 110 i've just finished rebuilding, as part of the rebuild, i converted it from a 2.5na to a 300tdi with r380 box.  However, it's a Discovery box, fitted with ashcrofts selector rail adapter and the top housing from the LT77 (with the reverse plunger removed for obvious reasons).  I then used the LT77 gear stick with a new r380 knob on the top.  It's all fitted as the LT77 would be so that i didnt have to alter the floors. 

I've fitted an xdefend pedal lock already, as well as a few other security measures but a friends Defender was stolen locally last Saturday and found in a field, seemingly dragged onto it's roof to steal its wheels (definitely pulled over, not rolled while driving) and it's got me paranoid about protecting mine.  I like the look of the gear lever lock, as combined with the pedal lock it would be all but impossible to steal without making lots of noise and it wouldn't be towable.  However, they are different for LT77/R380, but can anybody tell me what it is exactly that's different?  As the parts are clearly all somewhat interchangeable, is it just the throw of the gearstick?

Thanks

Dave

I think it's just the physical gearstick gate pattern.

Looking at the instructions on Foundary4x4.co.uk, both locks are fitted when the gearbox is in 5th and the transfer box is in High ratio. So I guess there maybe different dimensions between the two boxes.

When I fitted my centre dash in my 90 I had to bend the gearstick and so I had to drill a new hole in the lock for the two halves to twist/slide/run in (that'll make sense when you see the kit). So basically there is room for adjustment if you can visualise how the lock works.

Hope this helps

Steve

P.S. You may need the R380 version, but I don't know if a LT77 top housing would change the layout or distance from the HI/Lo lever.

Thinking about it now it could just be the distance between the two levers that determines which lock you need?

Thanks for the replies, i think you're right with the gate pattern, there's definitely a longer throw on the R380.  I have the benefit of having a few land rovers about to compare, the gear lever itself on a genuine defender r380 is identical to the lt77 one, the top housing dimensions are the same too so i imagine you're right and i probably need the r380 version.

Regards cutting the handbrake cable, yes they could, but the using the handbrake lever would be easier :P .  With the pedal lock on and the gearstick locked they will not be able to get it out of gear to tow it or drive it.

13 minutes ago, dave88sw said:

Thanks for the replies, i think you're right with the gate pattern, there's definitely a longer throw on the R380.  I have the benefit of having a few land rovers about to compare, the gear lever itself on a genuine defender r380 is identical to the lt77 one, the top housing dimensions are the same too so i imagine you're right and i probably need the r380 version.

Regards cutting the handbrake cable, yes they could, but the using the handbrake lever would be easier :P .  With the pedal lock on and the gearstick locked they will not be able to get it out of gear to tow it or drive it.

That would make sense then as the LT77's gear stick lock is 'cranked' probably to account for it being nearer!