New propshafts on 1989 90 w/200tdi

Hi, apologies if this is a repeat, but, I need new wide angled prop shafts on my 90- chassis FA. Can someone explain why there are different ones up to and after 1994 models? Can I put later TD5 ones on? Will they fit? What are the main differences?

Thanks
J

Okay, understood. I actually have a Disco 1 engine and LT77 longer box in so slightly different to the Defender 200 tdi. I will just buy for the model I have to be sure. Will probably get this: https://www.lrparts.net/lrc6407-wide-angled-propshaft-by-qt-services-for-front-of-defender-90-110-300tdi-td5-and-discovery-1-200-300tdi.html

What you need to know is if your gearbox is mounted in the stock location. If it is, then the transfer box will be too. If the gearbox isn't, then the props will likely need to be different lengths. Maybe another off the shelf item for another model year. Or worse case a custom prop. You might need to crawl under and have a look how and where the gearbox is mounted and maybe measure the props.

Or buy via trial and error. Just measure the new one against the old before fitting.

5 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

What you need to know is if your gearbox is mounted in the stock location. If it is, then the transfer box will be too. If the gearbox isn't, then the props will likely need to be different lengths. Maybe another off the shelf item for another model year. Or worse case a custom prop. You might need to crawl under and have a look how and where the gearbox is mounted and maybe measure the props.

Or buy via trial and error. Just measure the new one against the old before fitting.

Well noted, will do. Thanks all for the advice :)

Indeed. The problem you have is, the Discovery has a 100" wheelbase vs 92.9" for the 90. So the rear prop on a Discovery will be longer. Do you know who put the gearbox in? The might have just shortened and balanced the Disco prop.

Also did you say you need a wide angle prop? Any particular reason?

The shifters are in the wrong location because you used a Disco box.  That does not help to determine the position of the transfer case, which is what is needed.

Carefully measure the length of the propshafts, center of flange to flange and post up the numbers.

12 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Indeed. The problem you have is, the Discovery has a 100" wheelbase vs 92.9" for the 90. So the rear prop on a Discovery will be longer. Do you know who put the gearbox in? The might have just shortened and balanced the Disco prop.

I don't know the guy, but I don't imagine he did anything properly as I've spent the last few months sorting out his shoddy workmanship.

Also did you say you need a wide angle prop? Any particular reason?

It has a 4 inch lift.

4 minutes ago, Red90 said:

The shifters are in the wrong location because you used a Disco box.  That does not help to determine the position of the transfer case, which is what is needed.

Carefully measure the length of the propshafts, center of flange to flange and post up the numbers.

Okay, thanks @Red90. When it stops lashing down I'll crawl underneath with the tape measure. 

If it’s modified then a photo of the mountings between the gearbox/transfer box and the chassis, including how they attach to the chassis, will enable us to confirm if the box is in the rearward position (2.5NA/TD/200Tdi) or the forward position (V8/300Tdi/Td5). This will narrow down the options for propshafts. 

• Like 1

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Prop-length-Guide.pdf

May be worth a read over a coffee. Once you've measured as advised.  Drop them a line. Make sure your sitting down for the costs, But with a 4 inch lift your gonna need a bit more flexibility in the props.

Actually Gywn Lewis stuff is very good value for money. They will just be a bit more than expected especially if your been looking at a Britpart rear 90 shaft........

Yes I read this- I think I’ll be getting a GL one. They seem reasonable. 

Both props are 690mm. I also need to properly work out how high my lift is haha! I think 4 inches sounds too extreme and it is definitely not that high.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:26 PM, Retroanaconda said:

If it’s modified then a photo of the mountings between the gearbox/transfer box and the chassis, including how they attach to the chassis, will enable us to confirm if the box is in the rearward position (2.5NA/TD/200Tdi) or the forward position (V8/300Tdi/Td5). This will narrow down the options for propshafts. 

Hi @Retroanaconda, sorry for the late response, I wonder if you could shed some light on this, as I am struggling. Flange to flange on both front and rear is 690mm. I've attached some photos to try and show where everything is mounted, do you think it looks like these props have been welded to extend them by 100m or so?  Is anyone able to confirm or deny my suspicions? Sorry for all the questions- this is completely new to me and the car is such a hybrid. 🥴

IMG_2586.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

Edited by Geojake

Those look like standard 2.5NA/TD/200Tdi mounts, which has the transfer case in the rearward position. So you want the propshafts designed for 4-cylinder vehicles pre-1994.

As above your front propshaft is over-extended due to your lift - so you may need to take this into account when buying a replacement.

If you really wish to keep the lift I would speak to Gwyn Lewis, they do wide angle propshafts and will be able to advise on a suitable setup.

9 minutes ago, hurbie said:

that front propshaft looks really dangerous , it's way too short for this setup !! the spline's shouldn't be visible on the outside , but hidden by the rubber boot !

Yes, completely agree. I haven’t been doing any driving at all until I get this sorted. The front is extended by about 70mm which is overstretched to say the least.

5 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Those look like standard 2.5NA/TD/200Tdi mounts, which has the transfer case in the rearward position. So you want the propshafts designed for 4-cylinder vehicles pre-1994.

As above your front propshaft is over-extended due to your lift - so you may need to take this into account when buying a replacement.

If you really wish to keep the lift I would speak to Gwyn Lewis, they do wide angle propshafts and will be able to advise on a suitable setup.

Thanks for the advice. They are only down the road from me in Shropshire so I’ll pop down and show them. Maybe changing the springs and shocks is a cheaper option! 🤣🤣 

1 hour ago, Geojake said:

Yes, completely agree. I haven’t been doing any driving at all until I get this sorted. The front is extended by about 70mm which is overstretched to say the least.

Thanks for the advice. They are only down the road from me in Shropshire so I’ll pop down and show them. Maybe changing the springs and shocks is a cheaper option! 🤣🤣 

Changing for standard height would improve the drive greatly IMO.